Red Arizona won’t keep Obama fans from going blue

Arizona has a history of voting red, but that has not stopped pro-Obama students from fighting the good fight, and they say things might be different this time around.

“”I think this election (has) a lot of controversial subjects, so I think there’s a good chance that Obama might win (Arizona),”” said Mei So, a pre- nursing junior.

Arizona is McCain’s home turf, but it isn’t a rule that candidates win their home state, said James Jefferies, a political science senior and president of the UA Young Democrats. He mentioned Al Gore losing his home state of Tennessee in the 2000 election as an example.

“”Here in Arizona, it’s thought of as a really red state, but it’s about split,”” Jeffries said. “”There’s a lot of independents that tend to lean right.

“”It’s a lot more winnable than people think it is,”” he said.

According to a poll done by the American Research Group between Sept. 11 and 14, Arizona had 34 percent likely Democratic voters and 40 percent likely Republican voters, with approximately 26 percent likely independent voters. It ultimately showed McCain was leading Obama, 56 percent to 39 percent.

“”I think McCain is going to win (Arizona) no matter what,”” said Fernando Romero, a pharmacy graduate. “”But I feel like I still have to vote. You never know if everybody just might shift to Obama.””

Arizona “”shifting”” and voting blue has only happened once since World War II, and that was for Clinton back in 1996.

But in the past two presidential elections, only Pima, Coconino, Apache and Santa Cruz counties voted blue, according to USA Today.

These four blue counties only make up about 21 percent of the population of Arizona, while red Maricopa County alone makes up about 60 percent, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

“”I don’t (see Arizona as a largely red state). I don’t think it’s a lost cause here at all,”” Jefferies said.

“”If you’re a fan of the Democrats or Republicans, and you’re in an area that’s overwhelmingly favored by the other side, you might say, ‘Well I’m not going to win anyway, so why should I bother voting?'”” Jeffries added. “”If you support Obama and you don’t vote, you’re guaranteed to lose. If you go out on Election Day and do your part, you have a chance.

“”Pima County has got a really good chance at helping to sway the state. It requires awesome turnouts. And that’s why we’re hitting the phones for three hours every Sunday (doing phone banking from the Pima County Democratic Headquarters),”” Jefferies added.

“”It doesn’t matter who you vote for, but just going out to vote will make a difference in this election,”” So said.

In the last three presidential elections, the winner of Arizona has won the White House.