Women’s golf tied for 7th after first round

Freshman Sommer Scholl swings and lets it fly during the first round of the Pacific 10 Conference Championships at the Oro Valley Country Club. Scholl shot a 4-over-par 76 to tie for 24th place, while the Wildcats shot a 13-over 301 on the first day to land in seventh place.

2006 pac-10 championships

When the dust settled at the end of round one of the Pacific 10 Conference women’s golf championships in Oro Valley yesterday, only No. 3 ASU had a team score under par, a 1-under-par 287. No. 19 Arizona finished in seventh place, carding a 301 (13-over-par) after the first 18 holes.

High scores were the order of the day across the board. Heading into today, the tied individual leaders – senior Ana Kostina of Washington State, and Sun Devil freshman Azahara Munoz – could muster only a pair of 2-under-par 70s.

“”We (the team) didn’t do as good as we wanted to do – I didn’t do as good as I wanted to,”” senior Cassandra Kirkland said. “”Tomorrow, I’m just going to go out there and not put pressure on myself, and just see whatever happens.””

Although she started the morning off well on the front nine, an overly strong drive landed her out of bounds on the 10th hole and signaled the beginning of a slide that would not end until the last green. When the scorecards were signed at the end of the day, Kirkland tallied a 7-over-par 79.

The Wildcats as a team struggled mightily coming home, with every golfer except freshman Amanda Wilson (2-over-par, tied for 17th place) firing an over-par back nine.

The Wildcats also seemed to struggle with the length of the 6,495-yard Oro Valley Country Club, as the team had five bogeys and just one birdie on the course’s four par 5’s.

Freshman Adriana Zwanck led the Wildcats with a 1-over-par 73, and is locked in an eight-way tie for ninth place as the teams move into the second-round action today, with tee times set to begin at 8:30 a.m.