Women’s tennis swept out of singles; hopes to rebound in doubles

Jacob Konst/Arizona Daily Wildcat

Tucson, Ariz. - The No. 30 Arizona women
    Jacob Konst
    Jacob Konst/Arizona Daily Wildcat Tucson, Ariz. – The No. 30 Arizona women

Pac-10 Tennis Update

After going 3-4 in Pacific 10 Conference play in the regular season, the No. 36 Arizona women’s tennis team was hoping for better luck facing the same opponents yesterday during the first day of the Pac-10 Conference Tournament in Ojai, Calif.

The first day of action, however, proved to be a difficult one for each Wildcat, as all four Arizona competitors fell in straight sets in singles to their opponents from California, a team that is No. 8 in the country that Arizona went 0-2 against during the regular season.

“”It was a tough day,”” Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said. “”They didn’t play the way they wanted to.””

Senior Stephanie Balzert was the first to compete for the Wildcats in the main draw. She fell to Cal’s No. 27-ranked sophomore Suzi Babos, 6-1, 6-1, for the first time this season.

Next up in that draw was No. 68 sophomore Juliette Mavroleon, who lost 6-4, 6-2, to California’s No. 90 sophomore Cristina Visico.

“”The girls aren’t happy or satisified,”” Maes said.

Junior Kasia Jakowlew was looking to turn things around for her team when she competed in the invitational singles draw. Yet Jakowlew lost to Golden Bears senior Jessica Shu, 6-2, 6-3.

The final and last hope for Arizona went to freshman Tina Razloznik. In her first time at the tournament, she was defeated by Cal freshman Claire Ilcinkas, 6-0, 6-2, in the invitational singles draw.

The team will get a fresh start today with the beginning of doubles play.

Balzert and Mavroleon will compete in the main doubles draw against Southern California’s No. 19-ranked duo of senior Luana Magnani and sophomore Lindsey Nelson. The Arizona pair will be looking for revenge after falling to the same squad twice in the regular season.

In the invitational draw, Jakowlew will team up for the first time this season with Razloznik when they face Washington State’s duo of freshman Aleksandra Cekic and sophomore Aleksandra Stefanova.

“”We are hoping to rebound and play better (today),”” Maes said.