Party patrol won’t increase

With the first week of school finished, the increased rate of college parties is almost guaranteed, but police say they will be patrolling the campus area as they would any other weekend.

“”We have a standard deployment plan in conjunction with (Tucson Police Department) with an increased focus on drinking violations and the crimes that go along with that,”” said Sgt. Eugene Mejia, University of Arizona Police Department spokesman.

Although police will not be patrolling more heavily or with more officers than usual, Mejia said that doesn’t mean police won’t be present.

“”We are ever vigilant in our effort to make campus safe for everyone here,”” Mejia said. “”It’s not something we step away from.””

But partying will not be isolated to the campus area, and Northpointe Student Apartments seems ready for the onslaught.

“”We have courtesy patrol 24/7,”” said Anthony Huff, community assistant. “”We will also have police who stay here all weekend.””

But Huff agrees with police that this weekend shouldn’t be treated as unusual.

“”Every week is an important week,”” Huff said.

But to students, this weekend is something special.

“”First week back, I want to party,”” said Mark Szikla, an economics senior. “”As a senior, I’m not going to do all the frat party shit. I’d rather be with closer friends.””

Szikla said he has planned ahead to limit the possibility of a run-in with police.

“”You got to plan how you’re getting there, but also how you’re getting home,”” Szikla said.

Although she doesn’t have any definite plans yet, Brigid Maloney, a family and consumer science sophomore, said she is considering frat parties.