“Razloznik advances to women’stennis semis, teammates falter”

For the members of the Arizona women’s tennis team who traveled to the Cal Invitational and San Diego State’s Fall Classic this weekend, hopes of winning either tournament were blown away as all but one of the players representing Arizona lost in the first rounds of both tournaments.

In San Diego for the SDSU Fall Classic, sophomore Tina Razloznik advanced to Flight 2’s semifinals, but junior Camelia Todorova and freshman Sydni Katz dropped their matches in the first round.

In the singles event, which featured no team scoring, Razloznik advanced past Florida State’s Miranda Foley (6-5, retired) and Alabama’s Paulina Bigos (5-7, 6-4, 6-1) before falling to Bigos’ Alabama teammate Nicole Briceno (6-2, 6-1).

Razloznik dropped yesterday’s third-place match to yet another member of the Alabama tennis team, this time to Andrea Brenes, 6-2, 6-3.

Todorova lost to Florida State senior Nicola Slater, 7-5, 6-0 in Friday’s first round before dropping straight sets in the consolation draw to SDSU senior Alesya Vidov (6-1, 6-1). She rounded out singles play yesterday in the compass draw singles matches by beating Denver’s Rachael Sackmaster, 2-6, 7-6(5), 10-4.

Katz dropped her first-round match in Flight 3 to Alabama’s Bianca Svensson (6-1, 6-0), before falling in straight sets again, this time to Denver’s Kaya Smole (6-0, 6-0), in the consolation bracket.

Katz also lost her final match of the weekend yesterday in the compass draw to SDSU’s Yuki Hagiwara, 7-6(2), 6-2.

When Todorova and Razloznik paired for the doubles event, the two fell Friday to SDSU pair Elisa Krausova and Sisse Nielson, 8-2, and downed SDSU’s Vidov and Ozge Atalay Saturday, 8-4.

Yesterday the pair lost their final match of the weekend to FSU’s Slater and Lauren Macfarlane, 8-1.

Meanwhile, over 500 miles away in Berkeley, Calif., at the Cal Invitational, both Wildcats – senior Kasia Jakowlew and freshman Natalia Toporowska – failed to make it out of the first round.

California sophomore Bojana Bobusic beat Jakowlew in the quarterfinals on Friday in straight sets (6-1, 6-0), and Toporowska also dropped straight sets to the host team when Cristina Visico took her down, 6-1, 6-3.

The two didn’t fare any better in doubles play, falling to the Cal pair of Bobusic and Claire Ilcinkas, 8-0.

The team will be back in Arizona briefly before they travel back to California for the ITA All-American tomorrow.

-Compiled from press releases at www.calbears.com and www.goaztecs.com.