Coming to terms with GOP’s likely defeat

Unless the losing candidate decides to throw a tantrum and demand a recount like in the 2000 election, we should know who the next president is by Wednesday morning. We already have an idea of who it’ll be based on the frustration of United States citizens.

If Sen. Obama becomes president as I suspect he will, his supporters can rejoice and their faith in humanity may be restored. Tears will be shed as he delivers his commencement speech, some of which will be a result of his flawless, motivational speaking capability. Others may cry in defeat because they know there won’t be that much of an incentive to make a lot of money since they’ll be punished for it. Those who disapprove of Obama may roll their eyes, disgusted they’ll have to listen to a sly, empty suit for at least four more years.

Let’s not forget that there is more to a successful presidency than a good relationship with the people. Obama has mastered this by wooing the majority of Americans with his inspirational presence. His ideas for change are also appealing, especially in a time when some sort of change is not just nice, but essential to rebuild the crumbling economy and stabilize the reputation of the United States.

As a Sen. McCain supporter, it’s unfortunate and almost unfair to assume his concession, but the United States seems to need something different right now, and the GOP can always come back strong in 2012 or 2016. Until then, do not expect Obama’s bright-eyed “”change”” to come into immediate effect. The country may have to sink even lower before it improves. Obama may very well change his plans once in office.

My advice for conservatives is not to be sore losers. Don’t display hostility toward Democrats, moderates or Obama supporters. I’m sure they’ll be relieved after eight years of disappointment, but they shouldn’t rub the victory in anyone’s face. Obama, the man of hope, wouldn’t want his followers to tarnish his “”positive”” campaign.

I could be wrong about the outcome. You can scold me for speaking too soon, and I’d love to be incorrect because I believe McCain is a better fit to manage the war, and I never fell for the trend that is Barack Obama. Sen. Hillary Clinton came off as power- hungry and nasty, but despite her political experience and presidential readiness, Obama won over the public with his charm. She has talked about running for president for many years and prepared accordingly, yet she wasn’t as likeable as Obama, and apparently, kindness is more important than capability. Not everyone voted for him because it’s the cool thing to do, however. Some have faith in his plans, and others really believe he is going to fix the hole we’ve gotten ourselves into.

How long will people continue to glorify Obama? Will he consistently bring citizens to tears with his rhetoric, or will everyone realize that he is not, in fact, a saint, nor is he deserving of all this praise?

I speak as if the Republican Party has already lost. The media has driven the country to this expectation, acting as if the election has been over from the beginning. They kept reminding everyone of how much the Bush Administration destroyed the country, and the discouraged decided not to vote because of what they had heard.

A new study by the Associated Press reveals that the media has favored Obama over McCain in the election. The Center for Media and Public Affairs has found that comments by sources, voters, reporters and anchors on ABC, CBS and NBC in the past two months reflected positively on Obama in 65 percent of cases, compared to 31 percent of cases in regards to McCain.

“”For whatever reason, the media are portraying Barack Obama as a better choice for president than John McCain,”” said George Mason University professor and head of the center, Robert Lichter. “”If you watch the evening news, you’d think you should vote for Obama.””

Now that the long election is finally ending and Obama is probably going to win, we can stop complaining about the government for a while. Unless, of course, Obama also messes up. He is, after all, human like the rest of us, and he prides himself on relating to the people. As Obama would say, “”Hope for the best.”” But prepare for the worst.

– Laura Donovan is a creative writing junior. She can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.