Arizona’s top ’09 recruit retracts commitment

Abdul Gaddy dribbles down the court during the 2008 Arizona Cactus Classic at McKale Center on May 9. Gaddy retracted his verbal commitment from Arizona admist assistant coaching changes, he told the Arizona Daily Wildcat

Arizona’s leading class of 2009 recruit, Abdul Gaddy, has retracted his verbal commitment, he told the Arizona Daily Wildcat through an internet message.

Gaddy, who played in the Arizona Cactus Classic on May 9-11 in McKale Center, felt mixed feelings after the departure of assistant coaches Josh Pastner and Miles Simon, he said.

At the tournament, Gaddy hesitated around the subject of staying committed, and told the Daily Wildcat, “”I got real close to Josh (Pastner) so it’s gonna be real different. If I come here, I’ll have to get used to it.””

The 6-foot-3 point guard from Bellarmine (Wash.) Prep is the nation’s No. 2 point guard, according to Rivals.com, and No. 14 overall in his class.

During an interview at the Cactus Classic, which McKale Center hosted, Gaddy said both, “”when I play here,”” and, “”if I come,”” in the same two-minute interview.

Gaddy initially chose Arizona for its tradition as Point Guard U and UA head coach Lute Olson’s ability to shape guards into NBA players.

“”I think that’s a lot (of) why I made my decision because coach Lute Olson knows how to get his guards to the NBA and that’s the ultimate goal,”” Gaddy said. “”I want to go to the NBA. So that’s my ultimate choice in going here. Plus, it’s like one of my favorite schools (basketball-wise).””

Gaddy initially committed to Olson’s program on Aug 23, 2007 as the third major guard prospect to commit in the past three years. Class of 2007’s Jerryd Bayless (No. 3 shooting guard) and 2008’s Brandon Jennings (No. 2 point guard) began the five-star recruit trend, respectively.

At that time, Gaddy’s AAU coach, Gary Ward, called the commitment “”an actual commitment,”” and told the Daily Wildcat other schools can’t talk him out of Arizona because it’s a “”100 percent commitment.”” Ward added without assistant coach Josh Pastner, that wouldn’t be the case due to Pastner’s essential role in the recruitment process.

Gaddy received Pacific 10 Conference offers from Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State. Outside the conference, Kansas, Gonzaga and Pepperdine made offers, according to Rivals.com.

Stay with the Daily Wildcat for more throughout the evening

Lance Madden and Michael Schwartz contributed reporting.