Sisk exceeding expectations

Arizona pitcher Lindsey Sisk winds up during practice at Hillenbrand Stadium on Wednesday. The freshman has been a surprise addition to the Wildcats pitching staff as she brings an 8-1 record and 0.69 ERA into this weekends home series against New Mexico.
    Arizona pitcher Lindsey Sisk winds up during practice at Hillenbrand Stadium on Wednesday. The freshman has been a surprise addition to the Wildcats’ pitching staff as she brings an 8-1 record and 0.69 ERA into this weekend’s home series against New Mexico.

Coming into the first year of Division I softball is presumably an intimidating situation for just about any incoming freshman, particularly at a program like Arizona where history and tradition is the cornerstone.

For freshman pitcher Lindsey Sisk, there were no apprehensions or expectations entering this year, especially with an established ace like senior Taryne Mowatt assuming the majority of the pitching responsibilities.

It may have been presumed Sisk would pitch once every four or five games while Mowatt, who is used to a heavy pitch load, would throw most of the Wildcats’ games while taking Sisk under her wing and showing her the ropes.

“”I just basically went into the season with no expectations,”” Sisk said. “”Coming into this year I just wanted to learn as much as I could and take it one game at a time and just helping out the team the best that I could.””

The slow game-by-game approach wasn’t exactly how it turned out.

After Mowatt struggled in her first start to open up the season against then No. 7 Northwestern in the Kajikawa Classic Feb. 16, Sisk was thrown into action in the second game of the doubleheader against then-No. 3 Texas A&M.

The Wildcats fell 3-2 and Sisk drew the loss even though she yielded no earned runs, but sending the freshman out was a message the team would be relying on her more than she thought.

The message was received and Sisk hasn’t lost a game since, a span of eight starts. Thus far, Sisk has compiled a record of 8-1 while boasting a 0.69 ERA, as she has allowed just five earned runs in over 50 innings pitched.

“”I have been pleasantly surprised by her performance this year and we are going to need her to (continue her high level of play) this year,”” said UA interim head coach Larry Ray. “”Freshman pitchers coming in here are people we expect big things from, and so far this year she is living up to those expectations.””

So much so that Sisk’s role has transformed from pitching every now and then to give Mowatt a rest to alternating starts with the standout senior.

Mowatt has continued to be her dominant self since her season-opening struggles, but has drawn more rest than she would have formerly imagined – something she is quite thankful for.

“”It is good that she has been doing well and we have basically been switching off for the most part,”” said Mowatt, who has struck out 117 batters in her 76 1/3 innings of work. “”I almost feel like we haven’t played as many games as we have because I haven’t had to pitch in a lot of them, so it is a good feeling to have another pitcher out there especially with (Pacific 10
    Conference) play coming up.””

Sisk has continued to take her success with a grain of salt, but as the team approaches conference play she may be finding herself in a more serious role than she could have ever imagined prior to the season.

“”I am just happy that I can be there for my team,”” Sisk said. “”I hope I can continue to pitch well and step up and help the team out.””

IF YOU GO

WHAT:
    No. 8 Arizona softball vs. New Mexico

WHERE:
    Hillenbrand Stadium

WHEN:
    Today: 7 p.m.
    Tomorrow: 7 p.m.
    Sunday: Noon

QUOTABLE:
    “”We are getting to almost the midpoint of the year right now, so we just need to refine some things, make sure we are sharp with the signs, and make sure we are all on the same page.””

– UA interim head coach Larry Ray