Women’s golf’s Walshe set to defend individual title at Stanford

When the No. 8 Arizona women’s golf team takes to the Stanford (Calif.) Golf Course today, it will be facing the same challenge it has faced all season long – nine of the 18 competing teams are nationally ranked, including four in the top 10.

It marks the third time in four tournaments this season that at least half the field has consisted of top-25 teams.

The difference-maker for the Wildcats in this tournament – the Stanford Fall Intercollegiate – is past experience. Senior Alison Walshe won the tournament last year, shooting 6 under par, while the team placed second.

“”I look at this tournament the same way I look at every tournament,”” Walshe said. “”But I played well there last year, so hopefully I get good vibes.””

Walshe is primed not only to defend her title at this tournament but also to post back-to-back individual victories. Walshe won the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational 10 days ago.

“”I practiced hard this week, and I feel confident,”” she said.

Junior Adriana Zwanck finished third in that tournament, keyed by a 2-under final round that was the best score of the day. If she can sustain that kind of play for an entire tournament, an even better finish may wait.

“”I need to stay focused and keep to my routine,”” Zwanck said. “”If you stay focused, you can win any tournament.””

The play of Walshe and Zwanck could go a long way toward determining how Arizona finishes this weekend.

“”Those two girls are playing great right now,”” said UA head coach Shelly Haywood. “”It shouldn’t be a problem for them to continue their success.””

Four of the five members of this year’s Arizona squad – which includes senior Mary Jacobs and junior Amanda Wilson, as well as freshman Alejandra Llaneza – were on the team that finished second in the tournament a season ago. The Wildcats hope familiarity breeds success.

“”It puts us one up on the teams that don’t have the experience on the course,”” Walshe said. “”We’re all comfortable. We want to do even better this season.””

Added Haywood: “”We’re going in with a lot of confidence. If we can get three girls in the top 10, we should win. I think we’ll play well here.””