Pool party season rages on at the Standards

Look no further than the Stone Avenue Standard apartment complex to get your party on this weekend. The Standard is throwing a full-on rager tomorrow, and it’ll be worth the cab ride.
    Chris Lee and Kale Feaver, coordinators for the event, moved in at the Standard earlier this year. Weeks into the semester they noticed something was terribly wrong.

“Nobody was throwing parties at the pool and we decided to take initiative,” Lee said. “Management took notice of that, and originally they weren’t going to throw a pool party, but then they thought we might be the perfect candidates for the job.”

Most people would be skeptical of two kids with no public relations experience trying to run an apartment-wide rager, but apartment management made a good choice.

Working some PR magic, the pair managed to get Red Bull to provide free drinks and “swag,” according to Lee. They also booked the UA’s own Black ‘N’ Blue Hip Hop Crew, DJ Audioscience and their own security.

Don’t sweat the security, though. They’re just there to keep minimal peace.

“Security is hired privately for the party and will be making sure nobody hurts themselves or anyone else,” said Feaver. “Aside from that, their job is to make sure there’s no property damage. Do what you want, but do it knowing what you’re getting yourself into.”

DJ Audioscience will provide live music set to a video on a big screen, with speakers surrounding the pool area and mixes and mash-ups of all kinds of music to last through the night. You might recognize him and some of his tracks from KAMP Student Radio’s Mobile DJ shows on the UA Mall every Wednesday.

Meanwhile, everyone will be doing what party-goers do.

The event is bring your own beer, though residents will be having pre-games of their own.
    “We’re going to be working with the residents to make sure everybody has plenty of ‘good times’ to pass out,” Lee said.

Perhaps one of the best aspects of this party is that all are welcome to the fun. Because Lee and Feaver expect the event to be packed, they had a couple of suggestions.

Expect to get wet, Lee said, because the pool area will be packed with dancing, drunks and dancing drunks.

“Don’t bring your wallet and your towel,” Lee said. “Leave anything stressful or school-related behind and come with your game-face on.”

As for parking and transportation, Lee suggested attendees take a cab home no matter how they get there. There are several large dirt lots nearby for parking, but no one should drive home drunk.

When asked to sum the event up in five words, Feaver recited the party’s catchphrase printed on the fliers: “All students, all fun, no bullshit.”

That’s six words, but it’ll do.

Follow us on Twitter @wildcatarts and follow Greg @Philoboarder43.