Miso hungry I’m on a roll

On A Roll Sushi is a decent addition to the downtown restaurant scene, offering up the usual and the unusual with an interesting array of specialty rolls. While the ambiance is not much to behold, On A Roll is cozy with its blue walls and minimal décor, although the large TVs take away from any romantic potential the place could possess.

On A Roll is advertised as both a sushi bar and a restaurant, but the non-sushi options are few. They do offer a good bowl of miso soup to start off your meal. The miso avoids being overly salted – a feat for soybean broth – and the tofu has a good texture, with scallions adding a nice touch of flavor.

While severely lacking in vegetarian options, On A Roll offers an impressive veggie roll ($6.50) that includes cucumber, yellow radish, spicy sprouts, gobo and a delectable, just-sweet-enough plum sauce. Throw that into some rice and seaweed, and you’ve got a scrumptious veggie option, albeit the only one.

Vegetarians aside, the sushi is good. The classic spicy tuna roll boasts fresh tuna and enough spice to please the palate but not overpower it. The Surfer ($15), a monster of a specialty roll, is a splendid mix of spicy tuna, crab, cucumber and avocado, wrapped into a roll and topped with shrimp dynamite, masago and eel sauce. This surfer must have been out on the water all day without sunblock because it’s on fire. While the spice doesn’t overwhelm the flavors of the sushi roll, it kicks in hard at the end. This roll will make you sweat.

Sushi doesn’t often fit the college budget, but don’t fret. On A Roll offers a reasonable happy hour menu. Though it only applies to select items, the half-off specials offer a more wallet-friendly option.

On A Roll is not the most extraordinary dining option the area has to offer, but it’s definitely worth a try for those who savor sushi. Stop in for a bento box lunch special ($9 to $12) that includes a cucumber salad, mixed vegetables, rice, miso soup and entrée of choice, or for happy hour when sushi rolls start at $3.50, and you’ll find yourself pleasantly surprised.

On a Roll Sushi
    63 E. Congress Street

A full menu is available at http://www.onarollsushi.com.