Police Beat: August 3

Takes one to know one

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to a call from a Jett’s Wildcat employee about possible drug use in the store’s restroom on July 27. The employee told officers he believed a woman had been shooting up heroin in the restroom. Officers spoke with the woman, who said she had only been putting on makeup in the restroom because she was meeting her boyfriend at the store. She said the employee confronted her when she left the restroom and he accused her of shooting up heroin.  The woman said the employee told her he knew she was a heroin addict because it took one to know one. The woman admitted to police that she and her boyfriend were recovering addicts and had not used drugs in a few weeks. Both consented to a search of their belongings. Upon conducting a records search, the UAPD officer found two warrants for the woman’s arrest for drug paraphernalia. She was placed in handcuffs and booked into Pima County Jail.

Fancy foreign fraud

A UAPD officer responded to a call from a UA employee about fraudulent purchases made to her UA Purchasing Card on July 26. Between 2:30 and 4:15 a.m., 37 attempted purchases were made to the P-card. Three had been approved for a total of $1,349.90. JP Morgan Chase Bank canceled and reissued the card. Of the declined purchases, 32 were made to hotel companies throughout the U.S., one to a camera shop in Great Britain and one to an online fragrance company in Great Britain. There is no more information at this time.

iPhone, uLost

A UA student reported she had lost her iPhone to UAPD on July 27 and said she believed it may have been stolen. The woman told police that she had been in a restroom of the Learning Services building that morning and left her phone on the toilet paper holder in one of the stalls. While she was washing her hands, the woman noticed a custodian come in to clean the restroom. When the woman later realized she had forgotten her phone, it was no longer in the stall. She found the custodian to ask if she had seen it when she cleaned but the custodian said she had not. The woman tried to use the “”Where’s My Phone”” application but could not locate it because it was turned off. The woman left several messages on her phone and will try to use the application again once the phone is turned back on. She told UAPD she would press criminal charges if the custodian had her phone.