UA administrator retires feeling full of life

Edith Auslander, Tucson native, former UA student, former director for the UA Alumni Association and Vice President and Senior Associate to the president since 2003, is retiring from the UA this year.

Many folks retire when they’re tired of work, but not Edith Auslander.

As a former member of the Arizona Board of Regents, vice president of human resources for Tucson Newspapers and most recently vice president and senior associate to UA President Robert Shelton, Auslander, 68, is used to working hard and thinks retirement isn’t an excuse to change that.

“”Everything is going very well right now,”” Auslander said. “”I’m feeling energetic and I’m on an upswing, so I think that’s a good time to retire.””

Auslander, a native Tucsonan, graduated from the UA with bachelors and master’s degrees in journalism.

Auslander almost attended Columbia University but decided to stay in Tucson because of family obligations. In retrospect, she said the decision was “”probably the best thing I could have done.””

Auslander worked as a reporter and section editor for the Arizona Daily Star and as a UA journalism professor before becoming the first Hispanic woman to join the Arizona Board of Regents for an eight-year term in 1984, serving as president for the 1989-90 school year.

In that year, she initiated a system-wide study on the status of women.

The UA community will miss Auslander’s “”warm presence (and) outstanding capabilities,”” said Fred Boice, current president of the board of regents.

“”She’s been a wonderful friend and a devoted employee to the UA for many years,”” he said. “”She’s an exemplary lady.””

Boice lives down the block from Auslander, and his wife, Ann, went to Tucson High Magnet School with her.

“”Oh, we go way back,”” Ann Boice said. “”She was always a leader, always active.””

Auslander worked with Ann in several community organizations, such as the Junior League of Tucson, the YWCA and Habitat for Humanity.

“”Throughout everything I’ve ever done, Edie is somehow there too,”” Ann said. But she has always worked for Hispanic causes and I think that’s her legacy.””

Auslander was named one of Hispanic Business magazine’s most 100 influential U.S. Hispanics and one of the 25 Hispanic Women of the Year in Replica magazine.

She’s also one of the 15 founders of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists.

Auslander’s precision and skills are “”a dream come true for any university president,”” Shelton said.

“”Edie is just a great person and she will be missed,”” he said.

Auslander said she had no immediate plans after retiring but plans to “”take some time off and determine what’s next.””

Auslander’s father, the late William Sayre, became the first Mexican-American from Tucson to work as a fireman for the Southern Pacific Railroad.

Auslander said her father’s perseverance inspired her to aim high.

“”I was reared by my parents to know that I’d come to the UA one day,”” she said. “”I spent much more (time) here than they envisioned and than I envisioned. It’s been a very enjoyable experience overall, and these last years have been a wonderful way to end it.””