Music ‘Crawls’ onto Congress

Music Crawls onto Congress

Club Crawl has become a Tucson tradition and it’s no wonder — the event has been around since 1994. When the Crawl first started, event producer Jeb Schoonover wanted a central event that merged together the bar scene and a plethora of live entertainment.

“”We already had bars all along Congress and Fourth Avenue and some of the bars and venues were already having live entertainment, so we just wanted to bring it all together and showcase the talent we have here in Tucson,”” Schoonover said.

Although Club Crawl initially only featured Tucson bands, within the last 10 years, the lineup has been gradually expanding to highlight a diverse line up. It is now the largest musical event in Tucson. Bands come from Tucson, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Diego and beyond.

“”We cover everything from blues to reggae to country and Latin music, and of course, Tucson has a ton of great indie bands,”” Schoonover said. “”We like to have variety because then there’s really something for everyone.””

International performers include Matt Ellis, an Australian singer/songwriter, and the Dutch indie-rock band Bettie Serveert. Local artists include Greyhound Soul, Seashell Radio, The Jons, SKITN, The Tryst, Whole Lotta Zep, San Lunes, The Jits, Lovemound, R’Cougar, HAIRSPRAYFIREANDGIRLS, Shaun Harris, Cadillac Steakhouse and Blind Divine.  Other out-of-state acts include Felix Y Los Gatos from Albuquerque and Chris Miller, James Sasser and the Guilty Men from Oregon. For a complete line up, visit the Club Crawl website.

This year’s Club Crawl will be on Saturday and feature 25 stages and 80 bands. Venues include the Rialto Theatre, Hotel Congress, The District, Sharks, Vaudeville, The Screening Room, O’Malleys, The Hut, Sky Bar, The Red Room, 47 Scott, Cushing Street Bar, Delectables, Martin’s, Casa Vicente, Delectables, Chocolate Iguana and Winsett Park. The event is hosted by Tucson Weekly. Other sponsors include Channel 18, Channel 11, The Mountain, KRQ, Tejano and Mia 97.1, BrushFire BBQ, Budweiser, Cuervo Silver, Zwack and Captain Morgan Lime Bite.

The event is 21+ and wristbands are $8 before the event or $10 upon entry. For more information, visit clubcrawl.ning.com.