Police Beat: Mar. 3

Vaporizer glitch

Three male UA students were arrested for possessing a vaporizer and marijuana on Feb. 25 at 7:29 p.m.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to the Apache-Santa Cruz Residence Hall at 7:12 p.m. after a report of marijuana odor coming from one of the rooms.

The officer met with two resident assistants, who escorted the officer to the room that smelled of marijuana.

The officer knocked on the door, after also detecting a faint odor of marijuana, and met with one of the residents.

The officer asked to enter the room and the resident stepped aside for the officer.

There were two other students in the room — the roommate and a resident from down the hall.

The officer asked the students if they knew why the officer was called to their room.

The first resident pointed to a large plastic bag attached to a plastic mouthpiece sitting on a desk.

“”That,”” said the resident before pointing to another plastic bag on the bed. “”And that.””

The officer asked what the bags were and as the resident picked up the bag to show him, a few pieces of marijuana fell from the bag onto the floor.

The resident explained that the bags were mouthpieces used to smoke from a vaporizer.

He then showed the officer the vaporizer on the desk behind the plastic bag.

All three students admitted to using the vaporizer to smoke marijuana and that they use s vaporizer because it eliminates the odor of burning marijuana.

The officer asked the students for any other marijuana or paraphernalia in the room.

A resident yielded a light bulb that was used to smoke marijuana and a blue plastic cup that contained the remnants of marijuana smoked in the vaporizer.

The officer also found two blunts on the desk shelf.

The officer arrested the three students for possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. The group was cited and released.

The officer also submitted a code of conduct referral to the Dean of Students Office.

The marijuana in the blue cup weighed 31.2 grams.

Home-wrecker turned office-wrecker

A UA employee reported receiving 10 harassing phone calls at work on Feb. 25 between 10:30 a.m. and 11 a.m.

The employee said her husband had an affair with another woman the previous year.

She told the officer that she had changed her personal phone number after receiving numerous harassing phone calls from the woman.

The woman called the employee’s direct UA phone number around ten times on Feb. 25, the employee said.

The woman boasted and antagonized the employee about stealing the employee’s husband.

The employee said that the number the woman was calling from was restricted, so the employee let the calls go straight to voice mail.

The woman then called the main number of the employee’s office, and the employee told the woman to stop contacting her.

Although the woman’s calls have ceased, the employee decided to report them to UAPD.

The officer contacted the woman who antagonized the employee and recorded the conversation.

The woman admitted to calling the employee only twice, which conflicted with the employee’s story. The woman said she was calling the office to complain.

The officer advised the woman to stop contacting the employee and the woman agreed to do so. The woman said she would report any contact made by the employee in the future to UAPD.

Scottsdale bus trapped in Tyndall garage

A school bus driver was trapped in a bus in the Tyndall Avenue Parking Garage on Feb. 25 at 10:33 a.m.

A UAPD officer responded to the parking structure and made contact with the bus driver.

The Scottsdale Unified School District bus was wedged under two directional parking signs but was able to move.

The bus driver entered the garage from the west entrance, turned north, then hit a sign hanging from the ceiling.

The driver wanted to back up and exit, but other cars wouldn’t allow the bus to move.

The bus proceeded forward hitting two more signs and a drainpipe.

There was visual damage to both signs and the pipe but it was hard to tell what was new damage because the signs are frequently hit.

Maintenance personnel responded to the garage to remove a drainpipe to allow the bus to exit.

The pipe was removed and the bus exited the garage without incident.

Photos of the damage to the bus and signs were entered into UAPD property as evidence.