Shakur sits out practice with ankle injury

Senior point guard Mustafa Shakur sat out practice yesterday and Wednesday with a sprained right ankle he initially injured against Washington Feb. 3. He did not practice all week before the team traveled to Oregon but aggravated the injury at Oregon State Feb. 8.

UA head coach Lute Olson said Shakur’s ankle is “”still tender.””

“”Anyone who’s going through that, we need to have him as healthy as possible,”” Olson said.

SUGHED: Tangara does non-contact drills

Sophomore forward Mohamed Tangara was back in practice on Wednesday, wearing a facemask, but participated only in non-contact drills. Tangara had a titanium plate put in his head after suffering a frontal sinus fracture against ASU on Jan. 24. Olson said Tangara would “”not be ready to play on Sunday.””

“”Biggest thing to see if he develops any type of headache or whatever,”” Olson said. “”If that’s the case then obviously they have to back off,””

“”He’s in good spirits and you could tell he was happy to be out in his uniform participating in some of the non-contact drills,”” he added.

SUGHED: McClellan has trouble with knees in practice

Olson said guard Jawann McClellan, who played just three minutes against No. 4 UCLA on Saturday, is still suffering the aftereffects of off-season knee surgery.

“”He went really hard yesterday, but I could tell it was difficult for him the latter part of the practice,”” Olson said.