Man admits to taking hammer to ATM

Watertown man faces up to three years in state prison after admitting Friday in Jefferson County Court that he broke into two businesses and took a hammer to a bank’s automated teller machine.

Joseph L. Defoe,25, of 159 Mechanic St., Apt. 2, is expected to be sentenced May 16 to one to three years in prison for guilty pleas to two counts of third-degree burglary and single counts of third- and fourth-degree criminal mischief, false personation and petit larceny. He is also expected to be ordered to pay nearly $10,000 in restitution.

He admitted that he entered Savory Cafe1511 Washington St., on Dec. 8 and stole a cash register, which he also damaged. At the time of his arrest for that incident, he identified himself to police as Justin Jack Smith.

He also admitted that he broke into the Franklin Street Market, 261 Franklin St., on Nov. 28 by breaking a glass door to gain entry and stealing cigars once inside. He further admitted that he damaged an ATM at KeyBank1308 Washington St., by hitting it with a hammer, causing about $8,500 in damage.

He also admitted violating probation by committing the crimes. He was sentenced Dec. 3 to three years’ probation for an Oct. 8 guilty plea to petit larceny in which he admitted entering a former Black Clawson building at 103 Pearl St. and stealing tools.

In other court activity:

William D. Frank,30, Watertown, pleaded guilty to second-degree attempted burglary. He is expected to be sentenced May 16 to three years in prison. He admitted that he tried to enter an Academy Street residence with the intent to steal something Sept. 17.

Amanda N. Cox,26, of 1207 Faichney Dr., Apt. 4, pleaded guilty to fifth-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance and first-degree criminal contempt as the result of separate incidents. She is expected to be sentenced May 13 to six months’ time-served at the Metro-Jefferson Public Safety Building followed by five years’ probation.

She admitted that she sold cocaine Sept. 23 in Watertown and that she violated an order of protection held by Jonathen R. Anderson by biting and kicking him Dec. 8.

Marcus W. Megan,19, Alexandria Bay, was sentenced to five years’ probation and ordered to pay $400 in restitution for Dec. 14 guilty pleas to third-degree burglary and second-degree criminal trespass as a result of separate incidents.

He admitted that he committed burglary by entering the residence of Amy Wells in Alexandria Bay in April and stealing a check. He also admitted that he trespassed at the summer residence of Anthony LimoncelliEnglewood, Fla., by entering the Lehigh Island property July 14.

Jeremy A. McNeil,34, Watertown, agreed to waive his extradition rights and return to Massachusetts to face an allegation that he has an unpaid fine there. Judge Martusewicz said the fine was for less than $300. Mr. McNeil told the judge that he would take care of the fine immediately.