Through the eyes of a vegetarian: 4th Ave.’s B Line

Noelle R. Haro-Gomez/ Arizona Daily Wildcat German chocolate cake made at B Line by Pastry Chef, Terri La Chance. Pastries are sold to Wilco, Time Market and Exo Roasting Co.

B Line, in a word, is charming.

Despite the construction on Fourth Avenue and the parking problems this poses, B Line is doing business. The clientele on a Tuesday afternoon appear to be older residents of Tucson and graduate students out to enjoy lunch and a micro brew on tap.

The service is friendly and doesn’t forget about you, even during a rush. The interior is chic, featuring wooden counter tops, an interesting arrangement of seating and tasteful wall hangings.

Atmosphere aside, the food is delicious even if you don’t eat meat. You can get out for less than ten dollars a person, making it an excellent restaurant to take a date to while enjoying some local cuisine. Additionally, all of their eggs, tortillas and cheese are local, as well as the in-season veggies.

The spread of vegetarian options on the menu varies from meal to meal. For breakfast the vegetarian options include crepes, breakfast burritos and bagel sandwiches. These will cost you between $5 and $6, but it’s definitely worth the money.

For lunch and dinner, the vegetarian possibilities are pretty varied. As a vegetarian, nothing on the menu is going to cost more than nine dollars, with the exception of the pasta alla vodka. B Line serves pastas, salads, black bean burgers, soups, burritos and quesadillas. But what really brings the whole menu together is the way the meals incorporate skillful cooking techniques and fresh ingredients.

The roasted veggie sandwich, for example, is a mix of grilled squash, mushrooms and peppers, with melted havarti cheese and a pesto sauce, served between a toasty rustic roll and a side of cracked pepper chips. It was exactly the kind of warm cheesy goodness you’d hope it would be, and it’s filling to boot. The grilled veggie sandwich does run on the steep side at $8.95 — but it beats a $9 burger anywhere else. If you aren’t sold on the main course, then go for the dessert.

Imagine a tower of decadent desserts twirling behind a glowing glass showcase. This is where B Line displays its ever-changing menu of dessert pastries, pies, tarts and cakes. They showcase everything from salted caramel tarts and pot de crème to more familiar desserts. However, B Line manages to put its own twist on these classics, such as the raspberry rhubarb pie and the chocolate cappuccino cheesecake.

The decadent chocolate cappuccino cheesecake doesn’t disappoint, even at the price of $5.95. The presentation is interesting, featuring what could be described as a chocolate mast atop this tasty dish. The cheesecake was rich without being overbearing and no singular flavor dominated the taste. Instead, it is a delicious and balanced blend of cappuccino, cheesecake and chocolate flavors. A bold cup of locally roasted coffee from Exo Roast Co. went along with dessert nicely.

Whether you’re looking for a restaurant to take your date out to eat, or you are just looking for a quality joint to grab a cup of coffee at, keep B Line in mind this weekend.

Follow us on Twitter @wildcatarts and follow Hayden @Spicy_Reptiles.