Police Beat: October 10

Drunken hide and seek

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was driving westbound on Sixth Street when he came to a red light at Highland Avenue and heard a man yelling at 2:40 a.m. on Oct. 7. The man was standing on the southeast corner in front of the Student Recreation Center. He had difficulty standing up straight and appeared dazed.

When the officer began to approach him, the man scurried behind a planter, attempting to hide. The officer then headed south and pulled onto the sidewalk, exited his vehicle and asked to speak with the man. The man’s shirt was unbuttoned, his face was flushed and dirty and his eyes were red and watery. The officer could smell alcohol on him.

When the officer spoke with the man, he noticed the man spoke slowly and slurred. He identified himself with an Arizona driver’s license and said he was 18 years old. The man said he hadn’t been drinking, but the officer noted that it was clear that he had been. The officer cited the man for minor with spirituous liquor in body.

Alcohol overload leads to full-on spasm

An 18-year-old student was transported by ambulance to the University of Arizona Medical Center from the Kaibab Huachuca Residence Hall for extreme intoxication at about 3:50 a.m. on Oct. 7.

The Tucson Fire Department and a UAPD officer arrived at the scene and spoke with the student’s roommate, who said that at about 2:30 a.m. he and a few friends saw the student standing upright on the north side of the hall, continuously swaying back and forth.

The group helped the student into his room and attempted to help him into bed when he hit his head on the bed frame and fell onto the floor, unconscious.

As the officer and roommate finished up their conversation, the officer noticed the student’s chest muscles, arms and hands began spasming. He then began vomiting.

The student was semiconscious at this time but was unable to answer the questions asked of him by TFD.

A roommate said the student drank alcohol occasionally but he had never seen him in this condition. The officer was unable to contact the resident assistant on duty but advised the on-call community director of the incident. A UAPD day shift patrol officer was later asked to contact the student at UAMC and charge him with minor in possession of alcohol in body.

Radio thief sneaks in the back window

A UAPD officer responded to the Main Gate Parking Garage concerning reports of larceny at about 11:25 a.m. on Oct. 7.

When the officer arrived at the scene, he spoke with a student who claimed his radio/CD player was stolen from his vehicle. He said that he parked his vehicle on the ramp leading from the first level to the second level.

The theft occurred between 9 p.m. on Oct. 6 and 10:45 a.m. that day. The student said that his rear window is a 7-inch sliding window and he believed the thief used the window to enter the vehicle and steal his radio, even though there was no exterior damage done to the vehicle. The driver saw that the center area of the dash had been damaged in order to remove the radio.

He asked to take part in any future criminal proceedings related to the case. There are no suspects or witnesses at this time.