Shelton proposes $659 in-state tuition hike

President Shelton announced in an e-mail that he will suggest a tuition increase for the 2009-2010 school year of at least $659 per student, a 13 percent increase from last year’s tuition hike, to the Arizona Board of Regents on Nov. 15.

“”I’m surprised they raised tuition again. I thought I was paying enough already,”” said Victoria Fregoso, a journalism junior. “”Hopefully whatever this raise in tuition is for will provide me with a better education and maybe some more on campus activities that I can take part in.””

The increase is limited by a boundary condition that was set in place by the Regents that does not allow the UA to go beyond the top third of its peer group. The proposed increase will be at the top of the allowed total.

Out-of-state students will see an increase of $2,575 per year, a 14 percent increase. For an out-of-state student to attend UA for four years, it will cost over $85,000 – excluding books, food, room and board.

“”I think it’s bullshit – the debt is already so high, it’s just going to make it worse,”” said Natalie Lakosil, pre-journalism freshman.

Along with Shelton’s recommendation, the Associated Students of the University of Arizona will also be offering a proposal that will be considered at the Board of Regents meeting on Nov. 15.

“”President Shelton has put his proposal forward and then we go through the whole tuition process, so that does not mean that will be the tuition increase next year because his proposal has to go to the Board of Regents first,”” said Tommy Bruce, ASUA president.

“”That doesn’t mean that I agree with the tuition increase and it’s hard to find a balance right now because of the economy, because of the budget cuts, but you have to be able to offer the education and that costs money. But we’re trying to find a happy medium,”” he added.

However, tuition hikes are nothing new to the UA. Tuition has been on a steady climb: in 2005 tuition and fees totaled $4,087; in 2008 it was $5,531 and next year, should the Regents pass the proposed raise in tuition, $6,257. This will mean since 2005, tuition at UA for an undergraduate will have increased 53 percent.

“”It is absurd that tuition will increase 53 percent. We live in a world in which a college degree is essential. How can we expect to become productive citizens when the very system that requires us to be educated hinders us from becoming as such?”” said Leticia Olguin, an education senior.

Should the tuition be raised according to Shelton’s recommendation, the minimum increase every student at UA can expect will be $659. With the largest class in history, the school will generate at least $25 million in revenue. However, with out-of-state students, graduate students and college of medicine students paying more, that number should be much higher.

“”Nobody is excited about it by any means. But it comes down to … as the economy stands right now and with the budget cuts that we already received it’s not a surprise that the university needs to increase tuition,”” Bruce added.