Arizona vs Oregon halftime recap

Amy Bailey
Wildcat Scottie Young Jr. (19) tackles Oregon player during the first quarter of the Arizona- Oregon game on Saturday Oct. 27, 2018 in Arizona Stadium in Tucson, Az.

Arizona football started out the first half of its annual Homecoming game in a bit of a different way from the rest of its season.

Right out of the gates, Arizona’s defense looked as strong as ever, forcing a three-and-out for the Ducks.

On the other side, Oregon’s defense appeared to be asleep, allowing Arizona to easily capitalize on a 22-yard touchdown by Shawn Poindexter from Khalil Tate.

Arizona made strong drives down the field after the initial touchdown, but the Wildcats were forced to settle for field goals until the end of the first half.

At the end of the first, Arizona led the Ducks 10-0, something that went against most of the pre-game predictions for Arizona’s big Homecoming game against Oregon.

At the start of the second quarter, Arizona converted two more field goals, giving the ‘Cats a 16-0 lead over the Ducks.

Potential top-five pick in next year’s NFL Draft, Justin Herbert, only threw 11 for 23 in the first half for a total of 87 yards and one interception.

The Wildcats closed the first half with a four-yard touchdown rush by J.J. Taylor to give the ‘Cats a 23-8 lead over the Ducks before heading back to the locker rooms for halftime.

If Arizona can keep up its strong momentum in the second half, the Wildcats are positioned to add a fourth win to their 2018 season.

Follow Amit Syal on Twitter