“Wildcat editor in chief gets jail time, Safeway reopens”

Safeway reopened this branch, located at North Campbell Avenue and East Broadway Boulevard, in December. Many UA students do their grocery shopping there because of its proximity to campus.

The editor in chief of the Arizona Daily Wildcat was sentenced to 30 days in jail for driving under the influence in June 2006.

Nicole Santa Cruz, a journalism senior, was also ordered to pay $3,905 in fees, according to Pima County Justice Court documents.

Santa Cruz pled guilty Dec. 8 to DUI to the slightest degree and will serve her sentence in May.

She was pulled over near East Speedway Boulevard and North Second Avenue at 2:04 a.m. June 10 for failing to stop at a red light and for making a wide turn, according to University of Arizona Police Department reports.

Police officer Michojon Amado reported that Santa Cruz appeared intoxicated and he conducted a DUI investigation, reports stated.

Santa Cruz’s breath tests showed a blood-alcohol content of .163 and .156 percent, reports stated.

Santa Cruz was cited for one count of DUI to the slightest degree, one count of DUI at or above 0.08, one count of extreme DUI at or above .15, one count of improper right turn and for failure to stop at a red light.

She was dismissed of all charges except DUI to the slightest degree.

Santa Cruz had one prior DUI conviction in February 2006, according to court documents.

Renovated Safeway opens near campus

A renovated Safeway supermarket featuring a coffee shop, a larger bakery and a drive-through pharmacy opened Dec. 15.

The 60,000 square-foot market, 1940 E. Broadway Blvd., is about 20,000 square feet larger than the old store, said Roman Marin, a manager for Safeway.

The store also has a sushi bar, a full-service sandwich bar, a floral department and a meat department with custom meats. It will also have a gas station, set to open at the end of January.

Although the store was remodeled, Marin said prices will remain the same as before.

Marin said UA students make up a large portion of the market’s customers.

“”We are looking to be very busy once the dorms open,”” Marin said.

Safeway is open daily from 5 a.m. to 1 a.m.

Students receive $175 million in aid

The Office of Student Financial Aid distributed $175 million in aid for the spring semester, keeping on par with previous semesters, said John Nametz, director of financial aid.

The UA distributes about $350 million in financial aid, although the exact amount increases each year.

“”The amount of aid tends to go up each year, but so do costs,”” Nametz said. “”For example, minimum wage went up and outside scholarships have gone up, but we also have more students.””

The UA began using new financial aid software 3 1/2 years ago. As a result, the Financial Aid Office is now able to track aid more efficiently, although the office did experience a rough start, Nametz said.

“”We had awards that were granted later than I would have liked,”” Nametz said.

The Financial Aid Office started disbursing aid Thursday, as soon as was legally allowed.

The UA will be making disbursements of about $1 million each day for the next two weeks.

“”Most of our money is federal money; they don’t allow us to deposit it into student accounts until 10 days prior to school begins,”” Nametz said. “”This year was one of the earliest that we have ever been able to distribute this early.””

Nametz added that students should remember to start planning now for next year’s financial aid.

Students should apply by Feb. 14 for financial aid and other scholarships by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA form.

– Natasha Bhuyan and Amanda Morris