Up-and-coming rapper Trizz is slated for greatness

In an era of Tumblr-bred, club-ready trap rap, it’s hard to find artists with self-assurance of hip-hop legends. Though Kendrick Lamar and Macklemore sometimes demonstrate a socially conscious bent in their work, they can lack the visceral imagery to back it up.

That’s not the case for Trizz.

Born Arthur Lea IIIand raised in Compton, Calif., the rapper has been making steady moves in the genre of horrorcore, a scene noted for its shock value, while maintaing the classic elements of a true rapper. Currently working under the watchful eye of legend Brotha Lynch Hung, Lea has experienced a meteoric ascent as the result of finding the right audience.

“[Brotha Lynch Hung] heard my album Case 17, and he liked that shit,” Lea said. “He said he was gonna do a tour, so he invited me and … it’s been going great.”

Billed on the Strange Music “Independent Powerhouse” tour, Lea has found a audience that’s appreciative of his stylings, both lyrically and technically. Lines like “Have you ever seen a rapper slit his wrists? No, me either, but I’m looking forward to the experience/ Don’t trip, I know exactly where my veins are, barely leave a faint scar, laced arm, it ain’t hard,” from “Morgue” display Lea’s descriptive talent.

But it’s his California-style delivery that’s most impressive. “I heard Dinner And A Movie and I heard Season of da Siccness and I started writing like [Brotha Lynch Hung],” Lea said. “I don’t rush work at all. I storytell a lot. I like to write in sequence. I used to just write in circles, but now I like to put everything in sequence.”

Rapping isn’t the be all, end all for Lea. He’s a true triple threat — spending his downtime writing screenplays, while also acting in bit roles. Not many unsigned twenty-something rappers moonlight on Disney Channel shows.

“I’ve been on ‘ER,’ and I don’t like to admit this: I’ve been on ‘Hannah Montana’,” Lea said. “I love acting. I write scripts 24/7. I love horror film and drama shit. I’m writing a movie right now.”

It’s safe to assume that nothing about Lea’s approach is mild or slow-moving, and it doesn’t look like that will ever change. For a 21-year-old rapper on his first tour, playing sold-out sets every night with an icon taking the stage beside him, Lea is starkly aware of his position. Though his career is still budding, every sign thus far points to greatness.

“Everything that I’m watching right now is a learning experience,” he said. “I take notes. I don’t believe in a plan B. If I’m not doing this, I don’t wanna live — I love this life.”