W-hoops shuffles roster of freshmen

Three freshman players have decided to leave the UA women’s basketball program, a UA spokesperson confirmed Wednesday.

Amani Butler, Jhakia McDonald and Malia Nahinu have already been removed from the roster, but it is unclear whether the freshmen will continue as UA students next semester.

“”Any time you spend a year with someone, it’s going to be tough,”” UA head coach Niya Butts told the Daily Star. “”We got to know the players. They got to know Tucson and the university. It’s always difficult in that respect, but it’s in the best interest of both parties.””

Butts said that the decision was mutual, but has not been able to be reached for further comment.

Butler played in four games for Arizona this season and scored one point. Nahinu suffered a foot injury that caused her to miss the first half of the season, but in the five games she did play in she racked up 15 points and six rebounds.

McDonald also played in five games for Arizona, scoring 34 points and bringing down nine rebounds.

This leaves Arizona with two returning freshmen in Courtney Clements and Reiko Thomas. With the loss of Amina Njonkou and Sarah Hays to graduation, the team has six returning players total.

The Wildcats, however, signed four players for the 2009-2010 season.

The newest junior college signees are Jennifer Kioa, who hails from Foothill Community College in Los Altos Hills, Calif., and Amanda Pierson, from Seward County Community College in Liberal, Kan. Both post players were signed Wednesday morning. Their addition to the team will bring height, as Kioa is 6-foot-4 and Pierson is 6-foot-3.

The two will join incoming freshman Davellyn White from Phoenix and Brooke Jackson, from Mesa who has three years of eligibility remaining.

“”We are all really excited about the kids that we are adding during the late signing period,”” said Butts. “”They each bring something different to the table and those attributes should help us this season both in the non-conference and Pac-10 portions of our schedule.””