Staff Picks

Stanford is one of the most complete teams in the country. In contrast, Arizona is filled with holes. The Wildcats still don’t have a run game, their secondary is missing in action and they’ve shown little ability to pressure the quarterback. While the UA has an advantage opening Pac-12 play at home, it couldn’t come against a worse team. The Cardinal should handle the Wildcats easily as Luck should shred Arizona’s defense, leaving UA’s offense scrambling and one-dimensional yet again. Stanford wins big. 

Stanford 45, Arizona 17

-Mike Schmitz

For a secondary that got torched by Brandon Weeden and allowed 16 consecutive completions to NAU quarterback Cary Grossart, a showdown with No. 6 Stanford and quarterback Andrew Luck couldn’t come at a worse time. Luck’s clearly the nation’s top quarterback, and he has big-play receiver Chris Owusu out wide. Stanford also plays a physical brand of football on both offense and defense — something the Wildcats have struggled badly with the past two seasons. Arizona’s offense will move the ball between the 20s, but the lack of a run game will keep the Wildcats out of the end zone.

Stanford 49, Arizona 24

-Alex Williams

Let’s face it, Stanford hasn’t really been tested in its first two games. After obliterating San Jose State and Duke, the No. 6 Cardinal’s ranking might be a little too high considering the time it took it to pull away in both those games. While Arizona’s secondary has been shaky, the Cardinal hasn’t faced a quarterback like Nick Foles yet this season. Foles will be Foles — he’s leading the NCAA in passing yards and will probably throw for another 400 — but the Wildcats will need to figure out how to run the ball if they want to win.

Stanford 42, Arizona 35

-Dan Kohler