Athletics under Coach McKale

October 6, 1920

To Coach McKale may safely be given the honor of having placed Arizona on the map in athletics. “”Mac”” came to the University in 1914 and led the Wildcat in football to the southwestern championship and southern California championship. Immediately following this victory and Pomona many athletes came to Arizona adding to its strenth to make one of the most formidable teams in the west. Very successful schedules were played during 1915 and 191 in football. Although the Varsity was seriously handicapped during the war, very good teams were turned out, considering the “”raw”” material which had to be “”broken in”” so that they might understand the fine points of the game. McKale also brought track back into existence making one of the strongest oval teams in the southwest. In 1919 the University of Arizona reached the climax of victories, winning the southwestern championship in football, baseball, basketball and tack.

Mac says, “”this year exceptionally good backfield material has shown out for football. There is a lock of material for the line, but with two old heads back as a basis, Stewart and Barkley, and with the new material, plus some shifting in positions Arizona ought to have a line which will certainly be strong. I would trade a complete set of backfielders for about three heavy linemen, nevertheless if things progress as they have we will have a strong team to meet any of our rivals.””

In other words the Wildcats will have a “”go-getter”” of a football team, which may take another championship with the proper support of the student body.

Max also said. “”this year more emphasis will be laid on the cross-country runs. An inter-organization cross-country run will be held in the near future, five men from each organization placing, although the may enter as many as they wish. Suitable medal sand a cup for the winning team will be offered for permanent possession.””

This means that the cross-country run will be renewed so as to make Arizona cover all branches of athletics,

As for basketball, baseball, and track, they will be run off just like last year. As a number of last year’s baseball men have been playing with various teams up the states and have been doing well Arizona’s outlook for baseball will look good.