7-year-old boy on way to school dies in Fort Bend County wreck

A 7-year-old boy died and three other children were injured when their sports utility vehicle rolled over in a traffic crash on their way to school in Fort Bend County Tuesday morning.

The single-vehicle wreck occurred on the Fort Bend County Parkway near Texas 6 about 7:30 a.m. Tuesday, according to the Fort Bend County Precinct 4 Constable’s Office.

Deputies said Grant Lee Briers of Missouri City died at the scene.

A family friend, 37-year-old Dayonaja Williams, also of Missouri City, was driving the boy and her own three children to a private school in Missouri City, said Chad Norvell, Precinct 4 chief deputy.

Williams’ children — a 9-year-old girl, a 5-year-old boy and a 3-year-old girl — were taken to Southwest Memorial Hermann Hospital with minor injuries, Norvell said.

No other injuries were reported.

According to a news release from the constable’s office, Williams was driving a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe northbound on the Parkway when she was distracted by one of the children choking and drifted to the right.

As she pulled back to the left, she lost control and the vehicle rolled over, causing the boy to be ejected, the release stated.

Williams told deputies that all the children were restrained by seat belts or child safety seats, according to the release.

“”It is unclear whether Briers was restrained or if he may have unbuckled himself,”” the release stated.

None of the children was in the front seat of the three-row Tahoe, Norvell said.

No charges were expected in the wreck, which remained under investigation Tuesday afternoon, deputies said.

Norvell said drugs and alcohol did not appear to be a factor in the wreck.

Officials closed the northbound lanes of the parkway for several hours while investigators and emergency crews cleared the site.