Campus-area yogurt shop hopes to give Pinkberry new rival

The university is packed with frozen yogurt joints on and around campus, but Josie’s on Park Avenue and Speedway Boulevard brings something different to the scene. Josie’s, a self-serve frozen yogurt shop, prides itself on its healthy treats, which contain antioxidants and added vitamins, according to Josie’s owners.

All flavors are gluten-free as well, with the exception of peanut butter and cookies and cream, said Adina Knell, an employee at Josie’s. There is no high fructose corn syrup in any of the yogurt and stevia, a natural sweetener that can be used in much smaller quantities than sugar, is used in the pecan pie flavored yogurt. Josie’s is also free of emulsifiers, artificial stabilizing chemicals that keep ice cream frozen for longer.

Josie’s offers a bank of about 50 flavors that are featured and switched out every so often, including vanilla, milk chocolate, orange Creamsicle, mango tart, margarita and dark chocolate.

“I’ve sold mostly cookies and cream and peanut butter because they taste so much like what they are,” Knell said.

Seasonal flavors like eggnog and pumpkin also grace the Josie’s menu from time to time, according to Austin Sandiford, a Josie’s employee.

Josie’s may allow UA students to use their CatCards eventually, but “it’s not set in stone,” Knell said. She is, however, confident that her place of employment outshines Pinkberry by a mile.

“Pinkberry sticks your toppings on for you,” she said. “We’re self-serve. This is more fun.”

Josie’s toppings include everything from “poppers” (juice-filled boba), various fruits, brownie bites, peanuts, M&M’s, gummy worms, and Ghirardelli caramel and chocolate sauces.

“It’s retro and very youthful,” said customer Angela Smith, 19, of the look and feel of the joint. Smith said its gluten-free options is one of her favorite aspects of the shop.

So, what about Pinkberry?

“I like the vibe and the decorations inside,” said Marie Cox, a pre-retail and consumer science sophomore. “And I like the plain yogurt because it tastes like actual yogurt.”

It seems that Pinkberry’s location in the Student Union Memorial Center also makes it a worthy adversary.

“It’s on campus so it’s convenient,” said Pinkberry employee and pre-family studies and human development student Taylor Piazza. She also commented on its fresh ingredients and said you don’t feel heavy after eating the frozen yogurt.

It looks like students and yogurt lovers alike will have to try both shops and see which one satisfies their sweet tooth most.