Out and about in Tucson: this week in June

Wednesday, June 19

“Arts Sprouts,” 10 a.m., UA Museum of Art

Whether you’ve got children at home who need entertainment or you’re babysitting, try taking a day trip to the Museum of Art. Art Sprouts is a kid-friendly day of inspiration and fun. Children will be engaged with a story and hands-on activities to help them understand and relate to works of art throughout the museum.

Art Sprouts is free with regular admission ($5 for adults; free for UAMA members, students, children and CatCard holders).

Thursday, June 20

Yoga @ MOCA 5:15 p.m., Museum of Contemporary Art

Put your mind at ease inside the Great Hall of Tucson’s own Museum of Contemporary Art. Rejuvenate your soul while being surrounded by great works of art. Yoga classes are held every Thursday and are free for members, $5 for non-members.

Friday, June 21

Jessica Hernandez and The Deltas with Carl Hanni, 9 p.m., Hotel Congress

Michigan resident Hernandez hits the Southwest with her smart singer-songwriter sensibilities. Hernandez and her backing band, The Deltas, will play a free show at Hotel Congress, though you must be 21 and over.

Saturday, June 22

Better Living Through Plant-Based Eating: Plant Based Nation Summer 2013 Conference, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tucson Scottish Rite Center, $75

There’s no better way to improve your life than reevaluating your eating habits. This annual conference will have presentations by chefs, motivational speakers, physicians, vegetarians, vegans and more. Learn how to stop emotional eating and understand how to live off a raw food and plant-based diet. Each participant will enjoy nutrient-rich food throughout the day and leave with take-home resources.

Dog Days of Summer, 9 a.m. to noon, MINI of Tucson

As if it wasn’t hard enough to resist the urge to adopt every dog at every animal shelter, the Humane Society of Southern Arizona will be offering free adoptions on Saturday. Free pet portraits and vendors of pet-related services will also be available.

Summer Beer Series, 5 p.m., Hotel Congress

Most people turn to Hotel Congress for good music and a great dance space, but this summer, it’ll be known for something else. Every Saturday until August 24, Hotel Congress will be holding beer tastings. This Saturday, they will be celebrating Arizona’s own beers and breweries, and for $20 you can sample five to six different beers alongside some great food. However, make a reservation as tastings are limited to 48 people.

Monday, June 24

“Mindfulness and Meditation Training” 1:30 p.m. to 2:45 p.m., UAMC Kiewit Auditorium

Every Monday the University of Arizona Medical Center will he holding meditation training for those looking to cleanse their spirit. Take some time once a week to learn how to breathe right and exercise the art of a peaceful mind.

Tuesday, June 25

Baths w/Houses, D33J, 8 p.m., $14, Club Congress

Sitting firmly in the vein of instrumental beat pop acts like Gold Panda and evoking the freeform, uplifting nature of bands like The Go! Team, Los Angeles’ Baths returns to Club Congress with supporting acts, Houses and D33J.