Date Book

Campus Events

• Earth Day 2007. This event focuses on “”green”” transportation and features many displays of energy-efficient vehicles and information booths from around the UA and Tucson communities. 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Free. UA Mall
  • Virginia Tech vigil. The UA will put on a vigil remembering the lives recently lost in the tragic Virginia Tech shooting. All members of the campus community are invited to attend. Noon. Old Main
  • Seminar. The National Science Foundation’s ADVANCE program is hosting the “”ADVANCE Data Blitz”” regarding environmental sustainability. A number of professionals will speak on environmental issues. 3 p.m. Free. Student Union Memorial Center, Ventana Room
  • Lecture. Dr. Hsain Ilahiane of Iowa State University discusses “”New Communication Technologies in the Middle East: Mobile Phones and Socio-Economic Change in Morocco.”” 7 p.m. Free. Cesar E. Chavez building, Room 110
  • Blood drive. UA students are invited to donate blood at this United Blood Services drive. This event is sponsored by Alpha Epsilon Delta. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Free. Cherry Avenue pullout on the UA Mall
  • Hygiene for Humanity. The Student Association for International Relief Effort will be all over campus today accepting donations and hygiene products to benefit the nation of Sri Lanka as it continues to recover from the devastating effects of the 2004 tsunami. You can contact SAFIRE through Neha Datta at ua_safire@hotmail.com. All day. Numerous campus locations
  • Discussion. Members of the UA community are invited to discuss “”Being Muslim in America: A Woman’s Perspective.”” 7 p.m. Free. Center for English as a Second Language, Room 103
  • Club meeting. The American Association of University Women is holding a meeting. Those interested in learning more about this club are welcome to attend. 6:45 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Free. Education building, Room 8
  • Entertainment

• Film. “”Letters from Iwo Jima”” will be playing twice at Gallagher Theater. 7 p.m., 10 p.m. $3. Gallagher Theater
  • Poker. UA students are invited to participate in this poker event. 6 p.m. $5. Park Student Union, Games Room
  • Exhibit. “”On Our Own Time”” is an art exhibit showcasing the works of UA staff members. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free. SUMC, Union Gallery