Start seeing Tucson on two wheels this weekend

Photo Illustration by Robert Alcaraz/Arizona Daily Wildcat

Tucson happens to be one of the best cycling communities in the country. What does this mean for you? You need to get out there and explore this fair city on your bicycle!

Seeing the city from your two-wheeled steed is a much more personal experience compared to driving around in a car. When you are on a bike you can really take in the sights, sounds and smells of the city: the aroma of Mexican food and patchouli on Fourth Avenue, the songs of desert birds near Gates Pass Road, and the unrestricted view of the towering buildings in El Centro.

Tucson has so much infrastructure in place for cyclists that it would be a shame not to use it. Miles of bike lanes stretch into the surrounding foothills in all directions. There are also bike avenues designed to reroute motor vehicle traffic.

If a fear of cars is keeping you off the road, there is the Rillito River Path — 12 miles of well-paved trail that follow alongside the Rillito, beginning near Craycroft Rd., with a connection at Campbell Avenue and River Road.

If you are looking for a group to ride with, there are tons of cycling teams and clubs in Tucson. The UA Cycling Club accepts riders of all skill levels, holds weekly group rides and is affordable to join. If you fancy yourself an all-around athlete, you might want to check out the Arizona TriCats, the university’s triathlon club. Maybe you own a fixed-gear bike and are looking to do some social riding. Tuesday Night Fast Fixed Ride is a fun ride around town with some really hip kids on even hipper fixed-gear bikes.

Even if the whole cycling lifestyle isn’t your scene, biking is a great way to beat traffic and bothersome parking laws. Keep that in mind this weekend when you’re heading down to Fourth Avenue or Club Congress — it’s sometimes even faster biking than driving to these hot spots once you learn the shortcuts. Ride a bike and you can lock it up right in front of the bar. Drive your car, and you may be stuck wandering around an endless maze of dead ends due to construction and one-way streets. Not to mention you can’t get a DUI while riding your bike.

During this Labor Day weekend, when it seems like the whole world goes camping or to the lake, you can still have outdoor fun and beat the crowds. Grab your friends and get to know Tucson the way it is meant to be seen — on a bike.

Follow us on Twitter @wildcatarts and follow Hayden @Spicy_Reptiles.