UApresents strikes balance with Cirque

UApresents is hosting “”Cirque Dreams Illumination.”” The spectacular acrobatic show will run between Dec. 10 and 12 and includes dazzling feats of balance, contortion and dance.

The company, Cirque Productions, has been around for almost 20 years and each Cirque performance has a theme or a destination and incorporates this journey into each production. “”Cirque Dreams Illumination”” will take place in a city and undergo changes to “”go from ordinary to extraordinary,”” said professional contortionist Robert Muraine.

The company is known for astounding performances and “”Illumination”” is certain to please. People balanced on precariously stacked chairs and performers one on top of the other tossing stop signs into the air, tight rope walkers and jugglers bouncing balls onto a drum set to a jazzy beat are just a few of the acts incorporated into the show.

“”When you see, you’ll understand what I’m saying; everything going on on-stage seems impossible,”” Muraine said.

Putting together “”Illumination”” may not seem like much of a feat in the two weeks the performers spend with directors and choreographers, but the intensity with which they work for 12 hours per day is certainly an accomplishment in and of itself. The acts are already compiled. “”The act stays the same and they work with the director to try to create a balance between what the director wants and what performers can do,”” Muraine said.

The timing of the show may not be ideal, for most of us are busy with finals as the semester comes to a close. But if you are looking for an escape, to briefly forgo that last chapter in a textbook or the finishing touch on a project, check out “”Illumination”” this upcoming weekend. It’ll give you something extraordinary to talk about when you get home to your family.