Soccer brings winning streak to Virginia

Arizona forward Jasmin Day fights off a Texas defender during the Wildcats 2-0 win over the then-No. 3 Longhorns Sunday night at Murphey Stadium.  Day scored the first goal of the game, all the support Arizona needed in the shutout.
    Arizona forward Jasmin Day fights off a Texas defender during the Wildcats’ 2-0 win over the then-No. 3 Longhorns Sunday night at Murphey Stadium. Day scored the first goal of the game, all the support Arizona needed in the shutout.

Two days into this week, the Arizona soccer team already felt pumped up and ready for its first weekend-long road trip of the year. Shutting out the then-No. 3 team in the country to cap a two-game home stand sweep will do that to you.

Now, the Wildcats face the task of keeping that momentum, and the schedule will not be any easier. Arizona (3-1-0) will face New Mexico (3-1-0) in Albuquerque this afternoon and then No. 10 Virginia (2-1-1) Sunday in Charlottesville, Va.

“”After a huge win like (the one over Texas) you just want to come out and kill the next teams you play,”” defender Savanah Levake said Tuesday.

Arizona will need to come out with fire against Virginia. The Cavaliers pose a dangerous threat after a strong weekend against two of the nation’s top teams. They lost to then-No. 1 Stanford 2-1 and then reached a scoreless tie with No. 4 Santa Clara.

“”The key will be taking care of New Mexico first,”” said UA assistant coach John Galas.

“”Anytime you go on the road, if you can get that first win – the Friday night game – it sets you up for a successful weekend regardless of who you’re playing.””

The Lobos are no push over, either. New Mexico has an identical record to the Wildcats’ as well as a matching three-game winning streak.

Arizona would stand to benefit from continued production by Levake and forward Jasmin Day. The women lead the team with two goals apiece.

Levake is a surprising scoring leader for Arizona , as she is a defender. She said one of the main reasons she has been so productive offensively is the play of the forwards.

“”I try and get in and open up for my forwards,”” Levake said. “”But I give a lot of credit to my teammates. Both goals that I’ve scored have been players working off the ball and players getting good balls in.””

Day is also a surprise scoring leader, as she is in only her first year of collegiate soccer after participating in track and field last year.

“”It’s kind of different starting soccer up again, but I’m starting to feel more comfortable offensively,”” she said.

Day has been especially useful for Arizona on the offensive side of the ball with her ability to play numerous positions on the field.

“”She’s very athletic, very versatile,”” Galas said. “”We’ll look at individual matchups, and if she’s better suited to play outside we’ll put her there, or if she’s better suited to latch on to the end of crosses, we’ll do that. We’ll use her wherever needed.””

An important aspect of Arizona’s win over Texas chemistry, as the Wildcats found success working together as a unit. Levake said this is something the team will need to do again this weekend.

“”We need to keep working as a unit and playing as a team for the full 90 minutes,”” she said. “”And I think we’ll have a good weekend.””