Police Beat

A student’s $800 laptop was returned to him after it was found Oct. 19 on a bench outside of the Civil Engineering building, 1209 E. Second St., reports stated.

A FedEx driver noticed a black notebook-style bag unattended on a bench and notified the police.

Police located the bag on a concrete bench on the south side of the building. A paper citation in the front pocket of the bag had the name of the owner on it. Police contacted the student and told him his bag and laptop were in their possession.

The student arranged to meet the police at the Learning Services building, 1512 E. First St., to pick up the laptop. The student described the laptop and showed police the power cord that went to the laptop.

A man was booked into Pima County Jail for interfering with an educational institution after he was found at the Student Union Memorial Center, 1303 E. University Blvd., at 7:12 p.m. Oct 19, reports stated.

A community service officer notified police that a man who had been issued an exclusionary order was on campus. The man has had several incidences with the police.

When police arrived on scene, they were able to identify him by visual contact from the numerous previous contacts. The man was found standing in a basement stairwell.

Police advised him that he was under arrest and placed him in handcuffs. The man smelled of alcohol and responded to police by using loud profanity.

Police asked the man if he had a copy of the exclusionary order that was served Oct. 15. Again, the man only responded by cussing.

A search of the man’s pockets revealed $18.40 in cash and a copy of the order filed against him.

The man was transported to Pima County Jail and booked.

A student reported possible fraudulent sales to police Oct. 19 at Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall, 910 E. Fifth St., reports stated.

A man selling magazine subscriptions came to the student’s dorm room Aug. 8. The man said he was with Atlantis Sales and was trying to win a trip to the Caribbean.

During the exchange, an older woman walked by and said, “”Hey, I haven’t seen you in a long time.””

The student said she thought the woman was a resident assistant and figured if she knew the man it must be a legitimate sale.

The student bought a one-year subscription to a magazine for $59 with a personal check and was told she would start receiving the magazine in a couple weeks.

When the student’s check was cashed Oct. 7, she had still not received any copies of the magazine ordered.

Police advised the student of UA on-campus policy for sales and that soliciting was not allowed in residence halls.

The student told police she no longer wanted the subscription and wanted her money back. She did not save the receipt and an Internet search for Atlantis Sales and Magazines came back negative.

Two men were cited and released for underage drinking and a third was sent to University Medical Center for extreme intoxication at Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., at 2:36 a.m. Oct. 20, reports stated.

When police responded to the scene, one of the men was extremely drunk and vomiting. There was a strong smell of alcohol in the room and a pile of vomit near one of the beds. The man had vomit on his shirt and shorts.

The man could not stand without assistance and had to sit down while speaking to police.

Police had to open his wallet and retrieve his CatCard for him. The man said he had been drinking beer and shots of vodka.

One of the residents of the room told police the three of them had been drinking in the room, but he had left. The man said when he returned he saw a broken bottle in the room and started freaking out. The man said he started yelling and a resident assistant came to see what was wrong.

The other man said after his roommate left, the drunken man started acting stupid and knocked the glass vodka bottle over.

Police had the man transported to University Medical Center and stated that he would be cited for underage drinking when he was no longer intoxicated.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police?Department reports. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resume can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu