Police Beat

Two men were arrested for possession of marijuana at Pima Residence Hall, 1340 E. First St., at 11:06 a.m. Thursday.

Police were dispatched after a resident assistant reported smelling burning marijuana coming from one of the rooms. The RA told the officers that the residents had just left the room. It was the second time in the last week that police had been notified about the smell of marijuana coming from the room.

While police were in the hallway, the two residents came through the stairwell. One stopped, and the other tried to retreat back to the stairwell, but officers stopped him. Police asked one of the residents, “”Where is the dope?”” and he told officers that it was in his room, according to reports.

The resident went into his room and opened his top desk drawer, producing a yellow container with a white lid that contained a small amount of marijuana. The resident gave the container to the officer. The other resident told the officers that he had smoked some of the marijuana earlier, but both residents said they did not have any other narcotics or paraphernalia in the room.

Both residents were cited and released after being told their court dates.

A woman reported that a man was masturbating at the UA Main Library, 1510 E. University Blvd., on Sept. 25.

The woman told police that she saw a white man in his 30s watching her as she studied on the fifth floor. She said the man walked by her several times before she saw him peeking at her through some bookshelves.

She admitted that she did not see the man exposed or touching himself but said she knew what he was doing because she heard it. She left the area and told the library staff, who said that they could not do anything about the incident.

Police went to the library but did not find the suspect.

Police picked up a man who was hiding behind dumpsters near the Alpha Chi Omega sorority house, 1775 E. First St., at 11:55 p.m. Sept. 25.

Police saw the man tucked behind two trash dumpsters situated north of the sorority house and asked him to come out.

The man complied and identified himself.

The officers asked what he was doing, and he said he was drinking some wine he bought at a 7-Eleven. The man said that he knew drinking in public was a crime, which is why he went behind the dumpsters where no one would see him.

Behind the dumpsters the officers found two wine bottles that were cold to the touch. Both were opened and about one-quarter empty. A police dispatcher informed the officer that the man had an active court-ordered petition to revoke outpatient treatment and was to be transported to Kino Community Hospital, 2800 E. Ajo Way.

The officer took the man to the hospital and released him to the mental health staff there.

Police were dispatched to Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall, 922 E. Fourth St., on reports of marijuana use on the second floor at 9:55 p.m. Sept. 25.

When police entered the second-floor hallway, they immediately smelled marijuana coming from one of the rooms. When the officers knocked on the suspected door, a man answered and said that the police could enter his room.

The man was the only resident in the room, and he told the officers that his roommate was out of town. Police noticed that his eyes were red and watery, and they asked if there were any illegal items in the room. The man gave police permission to search the room.

In the the man’s desk drawer, the officer found a folded piece of white paper. Inside were several small pieces of a green, leafy substance. The officer showed the resident the substance, and he said it was marijuana.

Another officer searched the roommate’s desk and found a plastic bag that appeared to contain marijuana residue.

The officer also found a silver circular object that was recognized as a sifter, used to separate marijuana stems from marijuana leaves.

The student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for possession of marijuana.

A student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for public urination outside of the Civil Engineering building, 1209 E. Second St., on Sept. 24.

Police saw the man standing and facing the west side of the Civil Engineering building as he appeared to be urinating on it. The man confirmed urinating when police asked. The officer asked the man why he was urinating in public, and the man said, “”I had to go and couldn’t find any other place to go,”” according to reports.

Police verified that the man had not been drinking alcohol.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.