Bear Down and eat like a Wildcat

Ian Green

Geronimo Plaza at Main Gate Square, where On The Menu Live will be hosting a competition between the eateries in Main Gate Square on July 29. 

University of Arizona Family Weekend is a time when families from all over visit their students on campus. Making the trip can sometimes leave you hungry and looking for a bite to eat. Restaurants near UA will be awaiting the arrival of families from all over. The Daily Wildcat has outlined several restaurants and eateries that surround the UA campus as a guide for families throughout the weekend.

No Anchovies

A pizza parlor by day, a lively bar by night, No Anchovies is a pizza joint that is popular among students because of the big pizza slices. With pizza choices ranging from margherita to plain cheese, wings and new sauces, this family-friendly restaurant is a fun option when looking for a laid-back pizza spot, according to Solana Contreras, an employee at No Anchovies. 

Contreras said one of the most popular items on the menu is the Hot Wing Pizza. The pizzeria also offers music spun by a DJ on the weekends and a full bar upstairs.

The Dutch

A breakfast and lunch spot on the corner of University Boulevard and Park Avenue offers dishes with a “Dutch twist,” according to Marcus van Winden, owner and chef at The Dutch, who called the restaurant’s dishes “delicious.” 

Some of its most popular items are fish and chip, and duck tacos, which have a “nice good flavor that fits with the surroundings,” according to van Winden.

The Dutch serves breakfast all day long, but also offers burgers alongside the breakfast items.

“[The Dutch Burger] is my favorite because [it is] a blue cheese bacon burger,” said Betty Hurd, an employee at The Dutch. 

RELATED: UA’s Green Career Mixer ‘suc-seed-ed’

The Fix

Arizona’s self-proclaimed “Mac ‘N Chz Headquarters.” Serving over 100 different mac ‘n’ cheese variations, The Fix has something for everyone, according to owner Mike Lanz. 

Some of the most popular mac ‘n cheese dishes at The Fix are the Hangover, which features chorizo, hash browns and onions topped with eggs and salsa, and the All American, which is classic mac ‘n cheese.

Special offers during the month of October include the October Fest, which features bacon, bratwurst and ham. 

The Fix also serves burgers, sandwiches and salads, if mac ‘n’ cheese is not your favorite.

Frog & Firkin 

A British sports bar with an outdoor front patio, an indoor bar and a dining space in the back for games and music, pizza slices and full pizzas are popular items at Frog & Firkin, but the sports bar offers lots of choices, including burgers and salads. 

Frog & Firkin also offers a Beer Club for anyone 21 and over. Patrons can fill out a membership card free of charge. Afterwards, every time you order a beer at Frog’s, a bartender will initial your card to get you one beer closer to official Beer Club paraphernalia. You don’t have to be a club member to enjoy Frog’s extensive beer selection, with 30 on draft and over 150 in the bottle.  

RELATED: Migration, the media and militarization

The Buffalo Spot

A newly opened restaurant, right next door to Dunkin’ Donuts, the Buffalo Spot is popular among students, largely due to the 13 different wing sauces and being so convenient to parking and so close to the bars on University, according to general manager Peter Encinas. The Buffalo Spot has also gained popularity by offering 55-cent boneless wings on Tuesdays. 

The Buffalo Spot offers “hand-cut, hand-breaded, boneless wings,[with] 13 different sauces,” Encinas said.  

Buffalo fries are the most popular item on the menu, according to Encinas. The french fries are covered in boneless wings with a choice of 13 different sauces.

Illegal Pete's is one of the many restaurants along Main Gate Square on University Boulevard in Tucson, Ariz. "Pete's" serves Mexican food in a build-your-own style.
Illegal Pete’s is one of the many restaurants along Main Gate Square on University Boulevard in Tucson, Ariz. “Pete’s” serves Mexican food in a build-your-own style.

Illegal Pete’s 

Delicious Mexican food close to home, Illegal Pete’s serves up tacos, salads, burritos, bowls and nachos in a laid-back, casual atmosphere and offers the choice of protein with toppings like guacamole and nacho cheese sauce. With a deck for music and DJs, Illegal Pete’s is a game-day hangout for students and parents alike. 

Illegal Pete’s also offers a full bar and happy hour, serving a variety of Mexican beers and local drafts. 

Gentle Ben’s

Gentle Ben’s is a “University classic restaurant” that families, alumni and students have been coming to for generations, according to owner Richard Fifer. With a wide variety of appetizers, burgers and tacos, the fan favorite, Gentle Ben’s has lots of game day foods. Carnitas tacos are one of the patron favorites, according to Fifer. 

“Lots of people come back to Gentle Ben’s,” Fifer said. “[It has] a plethora of history, very sentimental.” 

With a bar upstairs and a misted outdoor patio, Gentle Ben’s is always busy on game days.

Follow Briannon Wilfong on Twitter