New fraternity rush policy approved: Structured format offers fairness

Wednesday, November 7, 1984

In an effort to assure all fraternity houses a fair bid on rushees, the University of Arizona Interfraternity Council last night approved a new, structure format for fraternity spring rush.

Last month, fraternity officers voted to ban alcohol from rush parties.

The organized format, which is similar to the one for sorority rush, would continue at least into the fall, said Andy Salla, vice president of IFC membership.

In past years, fraternity rush ran Monday through Thursday nights from 7 to 10. Rushees could attend house parties for as long as they wanted, as long as they could verify that they had visited all 19 houses.

The new rush proposal was conceived by Richard B. Reynolds, an IFC representative fro Sigma Chi fraternity.

“”I though it was totally unrealistic that in 13 hours, a rushee could go to 19 houses and theoretically see them all,”” Reynolds said. “”It’s insane to ask that of a rushee.””

In addition, some fraternities located farther off campus complained they did not see all reuses. Under the new structured proposal, each house is assured of seeing all rushees during the first two nights, Reynolds said.

“”We want all the rushees to visit each house,”” Sallan said. “”The houses are working as a system, not as independents.””

On Jan. 20 and 21, all registered rushees must visit 10 houses the first night and nine house the second night. Each visit will last 25 minutes, Sallan said.

Wednesday through Friday will be open for rushees to visit any house they chooser make up those houses they missed earlier, Sallan said.

Rush will be scheduled from 6 to 10:30 p.m. Monday and Tuesday and from 7 to 10 p.m. Wednesday through Friday, he said.

To help rushees get from house to house, free shuttle buses will be available during regular rush hours.

Rushees must send registration materials and a $10 fee before the Jan. 20 deadline.

“”We’re starting to be more concerned with grades and are possible going to ask rushees to send in grades in the packet,”” Sallan said.

The new format “”is best for the houses and the system”” he said “”It is time to change and be more responsible to the Greek system.””

Of 936 rushees registered for fall rush, 519 students pledged, Sallan said.

On Oct. 10, fraternity presidents and rush chairmen met and officially voted for non-alcoholic fraternity rush. This decision is not expected to affect the number of men who go through spring or fall rush, he said.

“”Beginning with spring rush, there will be no alcohol allowed in any rush fraternity parties,”” Sallan said. “”We are changing our image and hope to get some good recruiting out of it.””