Police Beat: June 27

Two for three

The University of Arizona Police Department conducted a traffic stop between Euclid Avenue and Speedway Boulevard on June 16 at 12:10 a.m. after officers noticed a vehicle driving without tail lights. There were three people in the vehicle: a male driver, a male passenger and a female passenger. Officers asked the occupants for their IDs to conduct a records check. The dispatch at UAPD headquarters informed officers the driver had a warrant out for his arrest from Yuma County and that the male passenger had two warrants. Officers asked the driver to step out of the vehicle and placed him under arrest. They searched the vehicle but didn’t find anything. The female passenger was released from the scene, and the male passenger was also arrested. During the arrest, the man told the officers that he had a marijuana pipe on his person. The officer asked the male passenger where the pipe was, and the man said it was in his left pocket. Drug warrants were confirmed for both suspects and they were taken to Pima County Jail. The vehicle was towed and the officers placed the pipe in UAPD Property and Evidence.

Two for zero

UAPD officers noticed a white sedan crossing over the center lane divider while traveling east on Speedway Boulevard on June 18 at 12:51 a.m. The officer stopped the vehicle and asked the female driver for her driver’s license. The officer could smell a strong odor of alcohol on her breath and noted that the driver also had bloodshot, watery eyes and slurred speech. The officer asked if she had anything to drink, and she replied, “I had one rum and Coke.” The officer asked the suspect to exit the vehicle and walk to the sidewalk, and noticed that the woman had a hard time standing, walking and following directions. The officer performed a sobriety test and arrested the woman after she failed. She was taken to UAPD headquarters for further investigation. Her vehicle was placed in a nearby lot and her belongings were left with the passenger in the vehicle. At UAPD headquarters, the female suspect agreed to a breathalyzer. The test could not provide sufficient results and the woman told officers that she was unable to conduct the breathalyzer test adequately because of a surgery she had had less than a week prior to the incident. Officers conducted another sobriety test, but the suspect failed and was cited with driving under the influence to the slightest degree and released. The evidence from the test was placed into UAPD Property and Evidence.