Police Beat: Oct. 29

Attempted burglary at UA’s 22nd Street Warehouse

University of Arizona Police Department officers were dispatched to the 22nd Street Warehouse at 1145 S. Warren Ave. on Oct. 22 at 7:32 a.m. in reference to a burglary. Upon arrival, officers met with a supervisor of the warehouse. The supervisor told police that an employee had approached him about a hole that was discovered in the fence along the northern boundary of the property.

Employees reviewed video surveillance of the area and found that an unidentified man had unsuccessfully tried to remove a computer from the premises, using the hole in the fence. The supervisor was able to narrow the time of forced entry to between 10:32 on Oct. 21, when the last employee left the warehouse, and 7:10 a.m. on Oct. 22, when the hole in the fence was noticed. Police took photographs of the damage and searched the area for anything of evidentiary value. The university has been issued a Victim’s Rights form.

Man on stolen bike transported to Pima County Jail

UAPD officers were dispatched to Coronado Residence Hall on Oct. 22 at 12:28 p.m. in reference to an unidentified man trying to steal bicycles. According to a witness, the man was walking around the bike rack area, picking up bicycles and shaking them. Upon arrival, officers met with a man who matched a witness description. The man was riding a tan Diamondback bicycle and verbally identified himself to police. According to police, the man claimed to be on his way to a mental health facility for rehabilitation for a heroin addiction. He also claimed that he was only riding through campus and had not gotten off of his bicycle.

A records check on the bicycle revealed that it had been reported stolen. The records check also revealed an outstanding warrant for the man issued by the Tucson Police Department for failure to appear. The man was cited on charges of possession of stolen property and was also issued an Exclusionary Order. He was placed into custody and transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked. An attempt is being made to contact the owner of the stolen bicycle.

Distraught driver gets too close for comfort

UAPD dispatch received a report of an assault on campus on Oct. 22 at 3:14 p.m. According to police, a man called to report the incident, which occurred in Lot 2165 at 1525 N. Campbell Ave. The man was in the lot and waiting with his turn signal on for a parking space to open up. As the man was parking, a green van got “”really close”” to the man’s car. Several moments later, an unidentified woman approached the man’s car, slammed the door while he was still inside, and then spit on the car.

The man asked, “”Are you crazy? Are you from here?”” The woman then left, after which the man felt upset and threatened. The man was not injured in the incident and did not wish to seek medical attention.

Couple charged with domestic violence for parking lot argument

UAPD officers responded to Tyndall Avenue Parking Garage on Oct. 22 at 3:47 p.m. in reference to a report of an assault. Upon arrival, officers proceeded to the fourth floor where they observed two people matching the description of a couple that was reportedly fighting inside of a parked car. Officers met with the man and woman occupying the car and separated them for questioning.

According to both the man and the woman, the couple were dating and had been arguing the whole day. The woman was sitting in the man’s car when the man decided to break up with the woman and asked her to get out of the car. When she refused, he opened the door and tried to push her out. She fought back with slaps and punches until he eventually succeeded in pushing her out of the car and onto the ground. The woman then got back inside the car and the man pushed her out again. This time he also got out of the vehicle, grabbed her and pulled her 10-15 feet away from the vehicle. However, as soon as he got back into the driver’s seat, the woman climbed into the back seat of the car. According to the woman, she landed hard on her back when she was pushed from the vehicle. A witness was able to verify the story that both the man and the woman told police. Officers cited both individuals on charges of domestic violence assault. They were released on scene and the incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.