NBA DRAFT: Budinger taken No. 44; traded to Rockets

Chase Budinger
    Chase Budinger

The Detroit Pistons selected former Arizona wing Chase Budinger with the No. 44 pick – the 14th pick of the second round – in the 2009 NBA Draft before trading him to the Houston Rockets for a future second-round pick and cash considerations.

Budinger was scheduled to hold a teleconference at 8 p.m., but it was canceled because he wasn’t picked until after that time.

“”While I expected to go higher in the draft, I will only use this as motivation to work hard, continue to improve and show teams what they passed on,”” Budinger said in a statement released by his agent.

Budinger averaged 17.9 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.4 assists with the Wildcats. He also averaged 19 points, five rebounds and three assists in a three-game NCAA Tournament run this past season.

The 6-foot-7 small forward slipped down the Draft order in the days leading up to the Draft. Never seeming to live up to the hype at Arizona, Budinger brings a definite athletic and skilled talent to the Rockets. On the flip side, the drop in his stock is likely due to questions about his toughness, a knock Budinger has heard time and time again throughout his college career.

Budinger spent the Draft in Encinitas, Calif., with his family.

“”There have been a number of players in recent drafts come out of the second round and have solid NBA careers,”” UA head coach Sean Miller said in a statement. “”With his skill set, Chase certainly has the ability to do just that.””

Stay with the Wildcat for more to come.

Follow us on Twitter here.