This Day in Wildcat History

• On July 21, 1977, a columnist for the Arizona Summer Wildcat complained that the UA was falling behind in use of solar energy: “”No buildings on campus are even partially solar-powered. Even for student housing, where water could easily be heated by the sun, conventional methods are still used.”” The columnist pointed out that a small community college in Arkansas had already declared itself wholly reliant on solar power. (The college’s solar project was discontinued in 1983.)
  • On July 19, 1988, the Wildcat gave a positive review to “”Die Hard,”” calling it “”a typhoon of adventure motivated by keen strategies.”” The reviewer was especially enthusiastic about Alan Rickman’s villain, saying that “”at moments when he is battling [Bruce Willis’s hero], he almost appears as the intuitive hero dealing with a rebellious force.””
  • On July 23, 1971, the Wildcat reported that a liberal arts senior who worked as a resident assistant had sued the UA for allegedly withholding part of his paycheck because he had gone on strike with four other students because of low wages. Stephen P. Novak told the Wildcat that the strike had been settled, but that his paycheck was short $23.14.
  • On July 22, 1980, a letter from a UA employee chastised the Wildcat for wondering, in a previous issue, why there had been so few letters over the summer: “”No, it is not that ‘no one bothers to read the paper,’ nor ‘no one on campus in the summer has any opinion,’ nor ‘nothing needs to be said,’ nor ‘the paper is beyond help’ (Although the latter is debatable.),”” Linda Halley wrote. Rather, it was due to students dealing with “”a whole semestert of classes and studying and labs and homework crammed into five weeks. … Five hot, increasingly muggy, oppressing weeks.””
  • – compiled by Justyn Dillingham