Arizona women’s tennis wins two

The Arizona women’s tennis team had an action-packed weekend, playing three matches in three days. Colorado defeated the Wildcats 5-2 on Friday, then Arizona came back to beat UC-Santa Barbara on Saturday and San Diego State on Sunday by scores of 4-3.

“”It was both mentally and physically tough for us as a team, we were really fatigued,”” said captain Danielle Steinberg. “”But, we managed to shake it off and come through for the victory.””

It was a different story for Steinberg, because of her focus and preparation in between matches.

“”I was surprised with myself because I wasn’t that physically tired,”” she said. “”After each match (this weekend), I just went home, sat and did nothing but drink a lot of water. It was a tough weekend, but I made it.””

The good habits paid off for Steinberg, when she pocketed some crucial wins against opponents this weekend. Yesterday, she clinched the victory for Arizona in their battle against San Diego State when she won her singles match 6-0, 6-4 and 7-5.

Head coach Vicky Maes said it was tough losing their first match against Colorado this weekend.

“”It wore us out mentally, the girls were lacking confidence and were worried about playing Santa Barbara (afterwards),”” Maes said. “”But, winning doubles against them gave us that boost of confidence we needed.””

Arizona player Claire Rietsch agreed.

“”People stepped it up (yesterday) that we really needed to,”” Rietsch said. “”Overall, it was a pretty good weekend for us.””