Safety lessons subject of sorority-sponsored event

Students got an extra lesson in safety last night at “”Sorority Safe Night,”” featured presentations from the University of Arizona Police Department in the Social Sciences building.

Hosted by Kappa Alpha Theta and the Panhellenic Council in the Social Sciences Building, the event addressed a variety of topics including how to avoid assault, forming reaction plans and situation analysis.

Afterward, liaisons were given the floor to answer questions submitted by those in the audience, which included “”What do I do if I walk into my room and there’s someone standing there?”” and “”If you’re being stalked, what should you do about it?””

Some students wished that individuals who were not at the event could be notified of the information.

“”They should send the Power Point out to all of the presidents (of the sororities) and also arrange mandatory attendance through Greek Life,”” said Shante Womack, a pre-elementary education junior and member of Kappa Delta Chi.

“”I think tonight is a great opportunity for girls to learn about the issues around our campus,”” said Christina Cocciola, a psychology senior and member of Kappa Alpha Theta.

“”This new program gives women advice and tools to use to ensure their safety on and off campus.””

The event lasted from 7-9 p.m. and was open to anyone, including students, members of the Greek Life and the public.