Athlete of the Week: Rebecca Cardenas

UA gymnast Rebecca Cardenas set two personal-best marks – a 9.825 on the uneven bars and a 9.875 on the floor exercise – in the Arizona Gymcats’ meet against No. 4 Stanford on Friday night in the McKale Center. The Arizona Daily Wildcat’s Tyler Kurbat caught up with Cardenas during Tuesday’s practice to discuss her favorite event to compete in, her life after gymnastics and her pre-meet routine.

Wildcat: What is your favorite event?

Cardenas: My favorite event is floor because I love to tumble.

What do you hope to accomplish on a personal note this season?

I want to hit all my competition runs, and hopefully add more events. All-Around would be really cool.

How do you get pumped up before a meet?

I like to listen to a lot of music, and then listen to my floor music over and over again while I visualize.
    If you could only perform your floor event to one song for the rest of your competitions, what would that be?
    Oh, that’s really hard. If it had to be a type of music, I’d choose Hawaiian music, even though that might sound funny for a floor event.

What is the “”last meal”” before competition?

I always eat some pasta the night before, but right before the meet I have to have my coffee and a little piece of chocolate.

What does your future have in store after gymnastics?

After gymnastics I want to go into nursing hopefully back in Oahu.

What else do you like to do outside of the gym?

I like to relax and hang out, and just do nothing. Oh, and sleep. I love sleeping.

If you could have any super power, what would it be and why?

I guess I would want the power to stop time. I’m from Hawaii so I’m laid back and I like to take my time with everything and I usually take too long. So I wish I had more time to warm up and stuff.

So, you’re from Hawaii, can you surf?

I know how to surf, but I wouldn’t say I’m good.

What do you miss most about home?

I really miss my friends, my family and the beach. I used to go to the beach all the time.

Any last shout-outs?

I want to say thank you to my teammates for all the support, and of course my coaches and my family. All my friends back home are always calling me, and texting me and I’m so thankful that they are always there for me too.