Q&A;: Nic Grigsby

Editor’s Note: Arizona running back Nic Grigsby leads the Pacific 10 Conference in yards per carry (8.1 yards per attempt) but was injured during a 37-32 UA win against Oregon State on Sept. 26. The Arizona Daily Wildcat‘s Brian Kimball caught up with Grigsby following Tuesday’s practice to discuss the status of his shoulder injury after a week and a half off and his big-play ability.

Daily Wildcat: How is your shoulder holding up?

Nic Grigsby: You know, it’s getting there.

DW: What type of injury was it exactly? I know it was a sprained AC joint, but was it a grade 1 or 2 sprain?

NG: I think it’s pretty high. Right now, I’m only at like 60 percent.

DW: You’re only at 60 percent health-wise, but yet you still expect to suit up on Saturday in Seattle?

NG: Yeah, I’ll be able to go. As far as the strength in my shoulder, it’s coming back slowly. Really slow.

DW: Is it more of a pain tolerance issue that will determine if you play or not?

NG: Yeah, more than anything, but I’m going to be able to bang.

DW: I know you’re staying out of contact drills so far this week, but is your shoulder causing you discomfort when you hold the ball or anything like that?

NG: No, not at all. It’s just a matter of just getting hit in that spot or moving in certain ways because you use your shoulder in a lot of different ways.

DW: Have you been making any adjustments?

NG: Yeah, that’s why the coaches are having me (work back into practice slowly) now, so I can get myself ready for the adjustments in the game that I’ve got to make.

DW: What has offensive coordinator Sonny Dykes told you about what your role in the offense against Washington might be?

NG: He’s got me in the playbook, so I’ve got to do what I’ve got to do and just do my best.

DW: Might this be a good time to rest though? Keola Antolin is a capable back and third-string running back Greg Nwoko showed what he can do against Oregon State two weekends ago.

NG: We’re all going to come out and play. We’re all a little hurt right now but we’re just going to come out and play the best we can. If stuff isn’t going well for us, coach (Mike Stoops) told us to let him know. He said, ‘If you’re not feeling well and you can’t go, let me know.’ So I said, ‘All right, I’m going to play. It’s time to go.’

DW: You seem to be the main big-play threat on the team this year. You lead conference at just more than 8.1 yards per carry. What are your thoughts about that?

NG: I’m definitely ready to go make some plays, you best believe that. It’s just whether or not I get a chance out in the open field to move and go.

DW: Do you think the team needs you out there to be able to bust those big plays?

NG: Oh yeah. Of course they need me, but if I’m not out there we’ve got guys who can make plays. But coach would love to see me out there making plays on Saturday.