Gut Busters

Photo courtesy of Lindys on 4th
    Photo courtesy of Lindys on 4th

Many restaurants in the area cater to those who dare to overindulge, oftentimes encouraging patrons to disregard mental and physical well-being in exchange for a free T-shirt, meal or photo on the restaurant’s wall. A handful of Tucson residents take these contests seriously, while others simply stumble upon these competitions after a night out on Fourth Avenue. Whether you’re looking for casual dining or have developed a taste for competitive eating, below is a list of places to check out for some serious grub.

Silver Mine Subs – “The Mother Lode Challenge” – $17.27

For those just starting out in the realm of competitive eating, The Mother Lode sub at Silver Mine Subs is every bit as challenging as the other competitions, without the hefty financial commitment. A 2-foot sub is loaded with roast beef, turkey breast, ham, salami, provolone, lettuce, tomato, onion, vinegar and oregano and finally finished off with some mayo for good measure. Complete this challenge in under 20 minutes and receive a free T-shirt.

Lindy’s on 4th – “OMFG Burger Challenge” – $24.99

A handcrafted burger isn’t hard to find in Tucson, but the specialty burgers at Lindy’s on 4th are in a category all their own. The OMFG burger weighs in at over three pounds, making this the manliest burger this side of the Mississippi. Nine 1/3-pound beef patties plus cheddar, swiss, lettuce, onions and Lindy’s house sauce will have your intestines screaming for mercy, but get it down in under 20 minutes and the burger is on the house. Any longer than that and you’ll be stuck with the bill, not to mention a lingering distaste for red meat.

Something Sweet Dessert Lounge – “Sugar OD Challenge” – $45

Begin with four dense double-chocolate chip brownies and add to that another four pieces of rich cheesecake alongside four scoops of ice cream. Finish off the dish by drowning it in whipped cream and chocolate sauce and topping it with four maraschino cherries, and you have the Sugar OD Challenge at Something Sweet. Not only will this dish challenge your sweet tooth, it’ll almost ensure your dentist will find at least one cavity upon your next visit. If you manage to finish the meal in under 45 minutes, you’ll save yourself $45 and walk away with a free T-shirt and your photo on the wall of fame.

Hog Pit Smokehouse – “Hog Trough Challenge Plate” – $29.99

With one pound of Angus beef burger, one pound Angus beef brisket and one pound pulled pork sandwiched between Texas toast and coupled with an additional pound of french fries, the Hog Trough Challenge Plate is nothing short of a feeding frenzy. The Hog Pit Smokehouse is best known for its savory, award-winning barbecue, and it’s evident the restaurant has channeled all of that into the Hog Trough. Completing this challenge will earn you a free meal as well as “On the Wall Recognition” at the Hog Pit.

Follow Amy Johnson @Amy_Jhnsn