Police Beat

Police caught four residents of Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., smoking marijuana on the white benches outside of the building at 10:30 p.m. Friday.

As police approached the men, they saw one of them flicker his lighter in a manner suggesting he was smoking a pipe containing marijuana. As an officer got closer, two of the men tried to flee, but the officer stopped them and brought them back.

Another officer arrived and found a plastic bag containing 3.2 grams of marijuana on the ground directly behind the benches.

Two witnesses told the officer they both saw flickers of light and smelled a “”really strong”” odor of marijuana coming from the four men, according to reports.

All four men had dilated pupils and appeared nervous. Three consented to answering the officer’s questions, but one wanted to speak to his lawyer first. All denied ownership of the marijuana and smoking it that night.

The officers concurred that the four men were smoking marijuana based off their actions, the witnesses’ reports and the men’s body language. The four were diverted to the Dean of Students Office for marijuana possession.

A man was booked into Pima County Jail for third-degree criminal trespass and interference with an educational institution at the Main Library, 1510 E. University Blvd., at 3 p.m. Friday.

An officer was patrolling the fourth floor when he saw a man lying on a couch. He recognized the man from multiple previous incidents, and a records check revealed that he had an exclusionary order for the UA until August.

The man said he was aware of the order and told the officer to “”go fuck yourself,”” according to reports. He continued to yell profanities until the officer escorted him outside and took him to Pima County Jail.

A bicyclist was transported to University Medical Center, 1501 N. Campbell Ave., after being hit by a driver at the intersection of North Mountain Avenue and East Helen Street at 11:05 a.m. Friday.

The driver of a silver Honda was stopped at the stop sign of the intersection, heading east on East Helen Street. The driver proceeded through the intersection and collided with a bicyclist, who was traveling north on North Mountain Avenue.

The rider fell forward and tried to catch himself, sustaining scrapes to his hands, elbows and knees. He also complained of wrist pain.

A woman reported seeing a man masturbating and exposing himself in her direction at the Student Recreation Center, 1400 E. Sixth St., at 10:30 p.m. Thursday.

The woman said she was exercising on the elliptical machine facing north toward the bus stop on East Sixth Street when she looked up from her mini television and saw a man looking at her and masturbating. She said it was difficult to see him at first because of the light glare, but once she saw the man, he was clearly masturbating. She was not sure how long the man had been there or if he had ejaculated.

Police searched the area for evidence of semen but found nothing. The woman said the masturbator was a white male with a scruffy face weighing about 200 pounds and standing 5 feet, 10 inches to 6 feet tall.

Police were unable to find the man in the surrounding area.

Police arrested a man for driving on a suspended license, marijuana possession and two outstanding warrants at the intersection of East Helen Street and North Third Avenue at 1:30 a.m. Thursday.

Police stopped the driver of a gold Nissan Maxima after a records check revealed he had a mandatory insurance suspension and a Tucson Police Department “”attempt to locate”” order on a DUI charge. The man said he did not know about the DUI and that he thought his mom put insurance on the car.

While speaking with the man, an officer could detect the scent of marijuana. The man said his friend had some in the car earlier, but that there wasn’t any left in the car.

Due to the man’s two active warrants and his driving on a suspended license, the officer arrested the man.

The officer searched the vehicle and found a clear plastic bag containing a green, leafy substance on the floorboard underneath the driver’s seat. The man admitted the marijuana was his, but he didn’t appear to have smoked any of it.

The man was transported to Pima County Jail for multiple violations, and his car was impounded.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.