Police Beat: September 9

Accidental overdose

A UA student was taken to the University of Arizona Medical Center on Wednesday at approximately 11:25 p.m., after she overdosed on allergy medication.

An officer from the University of Arizona Police Department and personnel from the Tucson Fire Department arrived to the student’s residence hall and went to her room.

The officer observed the girl sitting on the floor with a blank stare on her face. TFD personnel asked her to sit on a chair, and the girl stated, “I just fell out of it.”

They helped her into the chair and began evaluating her. They asked her what she had taken, and she told them she took 20 allergy pills, and did not know why she took them. TFD personnel asked her two more times why she took the pills before she stated, “Cause I can’t sleep,” and “the whole thought behind it was whole foods.”

The girl’s roommate provided the officer and TFD personnel with the bottle of pills, and said they were newly opened that day.
    They were an over-the-counter allergy relief medication. Only 56 of the original 100 pills were left in the bottle.

Throughout the incident, the girl seemed confused and incoherent. After contacting poison control, TFD personnel took her to UAMC.

UA owe me

A UA student was cited and released on Wednesday, after he shoplifted a bottle of juice valued at $3.79 from the U-Mart on University Boulevard at approximately 9:24 a.m.

When a UAPD officer arrived to the scene, the student told the officer that he took one bottle of juice valued at $4.79. He stated that there are many high costs for items at the UA, and that he felt the UA owes him free items. He also admitted to shoplifting from the U-Mart before. The officer explained that taking merchandise without paying was shoplifting, and that the student may face additional charges after security footage was reviewed.

The student was banned from all U-Marts on campus, and the officer walked the student out.

The officer then spoke to a UA employee who witnessed the student shoplift on several occasions. She told the officer that the bottle of juice was valued at $3.79, not $4.79 like the student had told the officer. The employee was advised to contact UAPD when she had copies of the surveillance video.

A code of conduct violation was also forwarded to the Dean of Students.

-Follow Alison Dorf @AlisonRaeDorf