Sports Briefs

Former Wildcats shine for USA softball team

Slightly more than a month after the Arizona softball team proved itself to be the best team in the nation by winning its eighth NCAA title, the USA softball team is having success similar to that of the Wildcats.

That could be due to the fact that the roster is composed of several former UA players.

Former Arizona All-American Jennie Finch and Tennessee graduate Monica Abbott paired up for a one-hitter Sunday night as Team USA won the championship of the Canada Cup with a 5-0 win over Japan in Surrey, British Columbia.

Under the guidance of Arizona head coach Mike Candrea, Team USA outscored its opponent 96-2 en route to a 10-0 record during the tournament, winning all but two of the games by the mercy rule.

Finch threw four hitless innings, striking out four and walking two, before Abbott came in for the final three innings.

“”It was fun to get the juices flowing again,”” Finch told www.USAsoftball.com. “”The offense took a lot of pressure off of me, putting lots of runs up on the board.””

Finch appeared in four games of the tournament, which featured other national teams as well as a few club teams.

Former Wildcat Alicia Hollowell pitched five innings in two games, winning both and allowing only one hit.

Former Wildcat Caitlin Lowe hit .448 (13-of-29) with 12 runs and eight RBIs as the team’s leadoff batter. She also stole four bases.

The fourth UA representative, infielder Lovie Jung, went 3-for-13.

Team USA will play in the World Cup of Softball in Oklahoma City tomorrow through Monday.

“”We look forward to coming back on our home soil and playing (for our fans),”” Finch said.

’08 football class continues to swell

Bigger is better, right?

The Arizona football team thinks so, as it has received two more verbal commitments for the class of 2008.

Three-star offensive tackle Kyle Quinn committed July 2, and two-star wide receiver David Douglas committed Monday.

The 6-foot-1-inch, 182-pound Douglas received offers from Air Force and Army, but decided that Arizona was the best fit.

Douglas visited the Arizona campus for its Elite Camp June 10 and showed his skills for offensive coordinator Sonny Dykes, who recruited him.

As a junior at McKinney (Tx.) High School, Douglas caught 83 passes for 1,285 yards and 13 touchdowns.

The 6-foot-3, 279-pound Quinn chose Arizona over Utah, Idaho State and Sacramento State.

In his junior season at Brentwood (Calif.) Liberty, Quinn had 24 tackles and a sack while playing on both sides of the line. He is the No. 75 prospect in California and rated 53rd at his position nationally, according to www.rivals.com.

“”The people at Arizona, all the coaches, they’re unbelievable people,”” Quinn told www.goazcats.com. “”Not just the football people but everyone there. The campus, everything is right there, and it seems like an awesome football town. I can’t wait to get down there.””

Walshe to tee off in U.S. Women’s Amateur event

Arizona junior golfer Alison Walshe is set to play in the 107th United States Women’s Amateur Championship Aug. 6-12 after winning her sectional qualifier July 5. The Championship will be held at Crooked Stick Golf Club in Carmel, Ind., a par-72, 6,595-yard course.

The only competitor in the field of 106 to finish under par, Walshe won the sectional qualifier at Sapona Country Club in Lexington, N.C., by three strokes with a 3-under 68.

“”To have a round like that before such a big tournament was a huge confidence booster,”” Walshe said.

This will be Walshe’s second Amateur Championship, as she advanced to the second round of match play in last year’s event at Pumpkin Ridge Golf Course in North Plains, Ore.

“”Last year I played really well the whole way, and I lost in my second match on the 18th hole, which was a bummer,”” she said. “”Having the chance to go further this year – I just want to do better.””

Her junior season was her first as a Wildcat, after attending Tulane in New Orleans her sophomore year and Boston College her freshman year. The transition was a smooth one, as she recorded a 73.35 stroke average and nine top-20 finishes, including three tournament victories. She was also responsible for Arizona’s low round (67) and low tournament (207) of the season, and notched 12 rounds at or under par.

Walshe was also named a first-team All-American by the National Golf Coaches Association and was a first-team all-Pacific 10 Conference selection.

– Lance Madden