More than skin revealed in ‘Hair’

More than skin revealed in Hair

Drugs, the war, the draft and free love: These are all a part of the anti-Vietnam musical “”Hair.””

The show, which revolves around a countercultural hippie tribe, named simply the Tribe, that make their home in Central Park, is a classic with many themes that allow it to remain relevant today – including the infamous nudity that often defines the show.

If talk of drugs and sex isn’t enough to draw students to the show, three UA students perform in “”Hair,”” and the male lead is a recent UA graduate.

Tamika Lawrence, a musical theatre junior who plays a member of the Tribe, explained that the show is about more than just Vietnam.

“”Besides the show being about war and the effects that it has on individual people, the major themes are about individual freedom, whatever that may be,”” Lawrence said.

Lawrence was personally drawn to the show because of its relevance as well as its focus on humanity and what makes one human.

“”You see what man is really about,”” Lawrence said.

Jacqueline Rez stressed the importance of seeing the classic musical. Rez, a musical theatre senior, wants audience members to look at why “”Hair”” still has so much impact today.

“”Whether or not you want to relate it to Iraq, whether or not you want to relate it to Obama and the election – that’s your decision,”” Rez said, adding that she hopes people leave the show thinking, “”Why is it still so important now?””

“”I was personally drawn to ‘Hair’ because it’s so relevant,”” said Rebecca Spigelman, a musical theatre junior who plays another member of the Tribe. “”It’s an amazing show about humanity.””

During its first run in 1967, the musical had an immediate impact. “”Hair”” included a multiracial cast, a disregard for the American flag and onstage nudity.

Each of the three student cast members said that even though the show is well known for nudity, it’s not about just being naked – the nudity is an expression of how little these characters were left with.

“”It has nothing to do with sexuality,”” Rez said. “”It happens just after the scene where the draft cards are burned. It’s (the characters) saying, ‘I have nothing left. This is who I am.'””